PDA

View Full Version : wanted 1993 nas defender 110 that needs work.

mrrover
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
looking for nas 110 any condition would be good if could be a driver while I fix 208-724-8899 thanks Al

Roverdog
01-04-2008, 09:45 AM
good luck.:thumb-up:

Les Parker
01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Don't they all? There must be something out there, though.

jp-
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Don't they all? There must be something out there, though.

I doubt it. The value is so high due to the limited number imported that anyone who has one is going to fix it themselves (or pay to fix it) before they sell it (if they were going to sell it, which they're not). If any of us on here could buy one cheap and fix it up, we all would jump at the chance.

The only one that I have seen for sale at a remotely decent price was one that had been completely rolled over. Every panel would have needed replacement, but it still ran.

jp-
01-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Also forgot to mention that my uncle wants one, my dad wants one, and everyone else I know is looking for one.

Bostonian1976
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
here ya go...the last one is sweeeeeeet

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_defender_1105_3_15.3.1vo1354.html

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_defender_1105_3_15.3.1vo1372.html

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_defender_1105_3_15.3.1vo1148.html

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_defender_1105_3_15.3.1vo1351.html

jp-
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I just remembered, I've got an original 1993 dealer brochure for the 110. We went to look at them at the dealer.

Les Parker
01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Talking of brouchures, I have a copy of the CSK 2 door Range Rover.
Nearly bought one over in UK, back in 1992.
Oh, well, I still have the book........

greenmeanie
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Well this is the year the earliest 110 become legal for import. Spend the time hunting down an '83 110 i nthe UK or europe, have someone over there do an inspection, buy a container and fill it with truck and required parts nad have at it most likely still considerably cheaper than a NAS 110 and built to YOUR spec.

If you feel rich buy a modern 110 write off and gut it for all the latest goodies and bolt them onto your '83.

I know of an '83 110 CSW with 4.6V8 conversion sitting in the UK but I reserve first dibs on it. I'm still working on my wife to understand that we need an ADDITIONAL truck and not a REPLACEMENT for the IIA.

Cheers
Gregor

friar mike
01-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm still working on my wife to understand that we need an ADDITIONAL truck and not a REPLACEMENT for the IIA.

Cheers
Gregor
Yep I know about that the 1980 SIII pickup RHD (the one I have posted photos of here) I had to explain why I traded a good Audi 4000 quattro for the rover :eek: well I did buy her a new Audi TT Quattro.

jp-
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Yep I know about that the 1980 SIII pickup RHD (the one I have posted photos of here) I had to explain why I traded a good Audi 4000 quattro for the rover :eek: well I did buy her a new Audi TT Quattro.

You own a shop don't you?

Try this one: "Honey, this is my shop vehicle. It is vitally important that I have a vehicle capable of hauling things to and from the shop. And! (make sure to put emphasis on the and) what if a customer calls and needs me to haul in one of his nice cars (or motorcycles) that has quit running?"

friar mike
01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
You own a shop don't you?

Try this one: "Honey, this is my shop vehicle. It is vitally important that I have a vehicle capable of hauling things to and from the shop. And! (make sure to put emphasis on the and) what if a customer calls and needs me to haul in one of his nice cars (or motorcycles) that has quit running?"
That came to mind then she would say well whats that chevy pickup you drive for? Yep around here she intrested in the fraise "from the shop" What a nice english car or bike that has quit on the road:confused: never happens.:D

Momo
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I recall seeing an NAS 110 for sale that had suffered an engine fire.
I believe the asking price was $15,000 or so. Cheap!

mrrover
01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Also forgot to mention that my uncle wants one, my dad wants one, and everyone else I know is looking for one. if I look real hard I might find one. you never will find one if you dont ask.I know I will have to pay 20-30-40k depending on condition.I would look at a roll job no problem.

O'Brien
01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
here's an '83 110 for sale in georgia for $16k

http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=89302451

yorker
01-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I recall seeing an NAS 110 for sale that had suffered an engine fire.
I believe the asking price was $15,000 or so. Cheap!

Isn't ECR rebuilding that one?

Momo
01-05-2008, 12:53 AM
It may be the same one, but they've done a number of them.

From what I've read, NAS D90s and D110s are prone to engine compartment fires. Or to be more specific, the have a relatively higher rate of such compared to other vehicles. We're talking about what, less than 4000 vehicles imported? All petrol V8s. Never heard of a problem with the diesels.

Mike Smith of ECR has written on other boards about a number of fires and possible causes. Including oil lines spraying atomized oil on the exhaust manifold. They have an upgrade kit for the lines.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110oillines.html

Jim-ME
01-05-2008, 06:40 AM
At risk of geting slammed I don't understand the attraction to any Defender. They are as complicated as any other vehicle on the road today and just as bad to fix. I deliberately went back to my Land Rover to get away from power windows, air conditioning, auto trans and especially push button or worse yet full time 4X4. What ever happened to keep it simple stupid. If I wanted a smooth ride and all that other junk I'd buy a Yukon. The day I want a better ride than my 88 I'll get a 109. As far as speed goes I've rushed places most of my adult life and am ready to spend the rest of my life traveling in the slow lane. I even have green air conditioning; take off the top, open the vents and windows. It doesn't get any better than that. Just my 2 cents, :)
Jim

yorker
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
At risk of geting slammed I don't understand the attraction to any Defender.

I hear you Jim. ;) this is the Series Board after all and I doubt many of us think there is anything wrong with a good Series LR vs. an overpriced Defender. Some here probably still feel a plastic dash Series III is another unneeded luxury. :thumb-up:

friar mike
01-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I hear you Jim. ;) this is the Series Board after all and I doubt many of us think there is anything wrong with a good Series LR vs. an overpriced Defender. Some here probably still feel a plastic dash Series III is another unneeded luxury. :thumb-up:
2nd that and paying the O-MyGod price for it.

Terrys
01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I have personally put eyeballs on 3 burned NAS110s, and heard about several others. According to Will Heddrick, he had known of 11.

Many years ago ECR had one in back of their building. The owner had bought it burned, paid to have it restored, and it burned again. The 2nd time was not because of rotted oil cooler lines, but a short in the dash from the rebuild.

Wayne Gayre (sp?) Down in Atlanta has had several, and had two together at one time. One was easily rebuildable, the other was basically a roll cage attached to a frame. He got $5k for that one and $8k for the other. Most of his customers want them as much for the title as the truck.

Mine came from West Palm Beach FL, and as burned ones go was pretty light. Even then, the whole interior need changing out, but rebuilding it was pretty easy, just took a few months. Between RDS & RN, there wasn't one part I couldn't get. CT DMV is very tough on rebuilt salvage title vehicles, and they told me that mine was the first to go through without a single reject for as long as they could remember. The ygive a clean title to some rebuilts, and others still get a 'Rebuilt Vehicle'. I got a fresh clean title.
If my memory still serves, I paid $5200 at the aution ,and about $8k more to rebuild it, with mostly new parts, including new bulkhead, but good take off wings & bonnet from RDS.
I did mine with a D90 style adash and wouldn't want the AC dash the 110s had. I did not bother to put the AC back in. I have had dozens of series trucks since my first back in the early 70s, and still have some. A defender that you use, and take care of, but don't put on a pedistal is just as much fun as any series truck out there. I love mine, but love my 109s as much,but for different reasons.
I have the ever typical rust at the welds on the body cappings. Why they decided to weld the two pieces together ranks right up there with the decision to no longer galv. them.
For all the subtle and not so subtle differences, Defenders have so much in common with series trucks, they can be equally fun to modify. I think the original 3.9 was a tad weak and I replaced it with a slightly hotted 4.2.
The gearbox and transfer case are reasonably bulletproof if you don't treat them like some musclecar. It only takes two fingers to shift an R380, but try and do it fast it it will catch you up.

greenmeanie
01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
2nd that and paying the O-MyGod price for it.

Ah that's part of why I brought up the import thing. I'll be interested to see what happens to the 30K plus NAS spec market when the 90s become available next year. Hopefully it will adjust to more realistic values.

Me - I love my '71 IIA 88 and I sold my soul to a 101 but I could also do with a truck to take the family (The wife has started talking about a 2nd kid) and she wants AC and freeway speeds which tend to point in the direction of a coiler. I know I could rework a 109 but I would rather have someone save one of those properly than have me butcher it to get what I need.

Cheers
Gregor

friar mike
01-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Ah that's part of why I brought up the import thing. I'll be interested to see what happens to the 30K plus NAS spec market when the 90s become available next year. Hopefully it will adjust to more realistic values.

Me - I love my '71 IIA 88 and I sold my soul to a 101 but I could also do with a truck to take the family (The wife has started talking about a 2nd kid) and she wants AC and freeway speeds which tend to point in the direction of a coiler. I know I could rework a 109 but I would rather have someone save one of those properly than have me butcher it to get what I need.

Cheers
Gregor
I guess I lived in England enuff to see them (and work on a few ) everywhere and still not interested enuff to sell my soul. but if I need one I will just go over to see my friends and round one up.

Terrys
01-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Cheers
Gregor

My first Series truck was a '71 2A 88", which I bought in '72. I drove that as my only for 7 years, and concurrently had others. The one I regret selling was a '62 a friend brought back from Ethopia.
I bought another '71 a couple years ago, and just sold it last summer, after a total rebuild. I have a '70 109 for reality checks.
With the corbeau seats, I can get out of my 110 after the 375 miles between our home in CT and our place in ME, and still feel like a homo sapien, and not a paperclip. I can easily and comfortably cruise at 70+. I hate the fuel consumption around town, but can usually expect 18-19 on the highway.
I certainly would have not gone out and bought one(a, because I didn't and still don't think they are worth those silly prices, and b, because I couldn't afford to) at the going rate, and earned mine the hard way. There are plenty of series owners who would have done the same thing. Partly because it was fun, partly because they had the skills, partly because they knew what the end result was going to be, and partly because they, too, could NOT have afforded to simply write a check. There are plenty of people who weren't willing to do the work, or were but unable to find (luck plays the biggest part) the right one. There will always be those who simply take a position because they can't afford to have one, but they are easily seen as the sour-grapes types.
I honestly think there will be little or no impact of the value of NAS trucks when 25 year olds start showing up. At a minimum, they will be 10 years older than our oldest, generally underpowered utility versions, and also not likely as well kept as ours