PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 Brake Light Problems

srady
11-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on brake light failure. I think it might be the switch. anyone changed one of these out lately? Easy job or not?
Thanks, Scott

siiirhd88
11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
I have had the plunger in the plastic type of switch stick, and a bit of spray lubricant freed it up for months. The plastic also wears, and the switch might need adjustment. I have also had the switch contacts come loose at the rivets that hold the inch male spades in place. A spray with brake clean and a little JB weld fixed that problem. To check the wiring, just jumper across the two female spade connectors with a short wire. The switch should just unthread from the housing, after loosening the locknut. IIRC, a switch from a GM product can be used in place of the Rover part.

Bob

landi41
11-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Could be a switch or corroded wires which Series LR do you have?
Ser II switches are hydraulic in the brake line down on the rh frame rail just in front of the bulkhead....
Series III are mechanical in the brake/clutch tower in the engine bay...

Leslie
11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Could be a switch or corroded wires which Series LR do you have?
Ser II switches are hydraulic in the brake line down on the rh frame rail just in front of the bulkhead....
Series III are mechanical in the brake/clutch tower in the engine bay...

Well, Dave, based on the title of the thread, I'm gonna go with him having a SIII.... :p

I concur, though: On the brake pedal assembly, on top above the servo, there's a screw-in switch with two wires attached.... That'll be your starting point....