PDA

View Full Version : brake warning light.. newbie.. help!!

rickauf66
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

i recently acquired a 95 d 9o last week.

upon taking it to the local servie station for the state inspection, i was informed (and saw) where it needed new calipers and pads on the front.

picked it up tonite. got in.

started the truck.. released the parking brake.. the red brake warning light went out.

as i was driving home (about a 2 mile trip) the red warning light started to flicker and now stays on constantly.

my initial thought was perhaps a fault with the parking brake switch, but josteling it does nothing to the dash light.

i noted in the owners manual that the dash light is not just for the hand brake, but for the entire brake system as well.

my question: what all components does this light (system) check for. ie, what else could be wrong?

what does the brake system self monitor that it would set off the red light?

fluid leak, level?
perhaps still a faulty handbrake switch?
is there some reset tool/ wire that needed to be activated when the caliprs/ pads were replaced?
could something be wrong witth the caliper/ ads? (seems to brake very well)

I don't even know where to start?

i want to be able and check a few things myself, before i take it back to the mechanic, and i would like to have an idea of where to tell him to look.
at the risk of repeating myself:
what all within the braking system could the red light indicate??

this truck is nice.. but i paid wayyy too much, the inspection cost me 3k and i still am having gremlins. not quite the great begining i thoughthttp://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

any help is greatly appreciated and needed!!!
thanks

rick

rickauf66
01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
ok, after driving the car around a bit tonite, i have found the following:
1. start car up light goes off. at idle light comes on and off as it shoud with e brake.

2. driving in straight line (over a mile) braking a lot.. light stays off

3. HERE"S where it gets WEIRD: light comes on when turning the wheel. at first i thought it just came on when the brakes were applied when swheel was turned. however. i can leave in first gear.. go in a circle radius and light will flicker until it stays on.

4. i can get light to go off by stopping and pumping the pedal a few times.

to sum up: light comes on when the vehicle is turning even if brakes are not being applied

what is up with that????