PDA

View Full Version : Is this 1983 4 Door Defender Pickup on eBay UK extremely rare?

Matthew Whelan
01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1983-LAND-ROVER-110-V8_W0QQitemZ330201823317QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29748QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I really love the look of this thing. I hate the hood scoop & also the fender flares that they added.

In the past 2 years I really have been a big fan of Defender 110s that are more of SUVs but I think I now like the look of the 4 door trucks better.

Are these virtually impossible to find that are importable legally to the US (aka a 1983 model)?

Also, will the fact that it failed the MOT Emissions test make it hard to get into the USA?

Is this a model that will likely not come along again?

Also do you trust this shipper? http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/

Thank you.

MW

Terrys
01-06-2008, 07:57 AM
You will throw good money after bad importing a truck that won't pass an MOT. An MOT (Ministry Of Transport) examination is the best inspection a foreign buyer can reply upon, short of going over an personally inspecting.
It doesn't say anywhere about it not passing an emissions test, and one would not be required on a 25 year old vehicle here either. It failed because, simply, it's resting on a rotted out frame. This should tell the savy buyer, that if the frame is rotted out, so too must every other steel part prone to rust, such as footwells, door posts, and sills.
Keep in mind, the vehicle you want to important must have documentation proving it is at least 25 years old, to the day, not just year. Also They were not refered to as Defender, for several more years. (Although there are no substatial differences) Don't buy someone elses project gone stale. If it was an economically sensible project, why did it go stale? That truck wasn't born breathing with 8 cylinders, so what transmission was used? One available in 1983, or one which came out since?
Lastly, Crewcabs are not rare overseas. I suggest you do alot more homework, and then restart your hunt. Look on the continent if you want a LHD. Loads in Germany and the Scandanavian countries.
As eager as people are over here for the first ones to be of age for import, there are just as many people over there eager for the opportunity to dump their junk on buyers so blinded with enthusiasm they forget to do their due diligence.

greenmeanie
01-07-2008, 09:34 AM
It doesn't say anywhere about it not passing an emissions test, and one would not be required on a 25 year old vehicle here either.

Keep in mind, the vehicle you want to important must have documentation proving it is at least 25 years old, to the day, not just year.

That truck wasn't born breathing with 8 cylinders, so what transmission was used? One available in 1983, or one which came out since?

As eager as people are over here for the first ones to be of age for import, there are just as many people over there eager for the opportunity to dump their junk on buyers so blinded with enthusiasm they forget to do their due diligence.

Be careful about emissions - there is no general rule as it is state dependent. Most states run a rolling 25 or 30 year rule for exemption but some such as Arizona simply have a cut off date. In AZ this is 1967. California has something that seems to cut off registering imports at 1974 but I am not an expert on their law.

Import documentation for year is easily covered by either contacting the museum at Gaydon or, when I imported my 101, there was even a gentlemen at LR who would provide build date confirmation in a letter. I would need to dig out my documantation again to find the name.

That truck most likely started out as a 110 V8 SW that was converted over to a crew cab. Note the funky soft top that is not OEM and plenty or checker plate - a sure sign of the DIY conversion. The 110 was available as a SW with a V8 in '83, it was mated to an 4 speed LT95 which, while rather agricultural is about the strongest box LR has ever used. An overdrive can be found to make it cruise better or swap in early RR high range transfer gears. I know this cause I used to drive one back in the UK.

Having said all that Terry's assessment is spot on. Other than the VIN # that thing is a worthless heap that will suck your bank account dry. I am also of the opinion that any vehicle 'improved' with checker plate shows a lack of quality work.

Cheers
Gregor

Maxredd90
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
That truck would be a nightmare. I can tell it would be a true problem child.

CliftonRover
01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
It almost looks like a 109 station wagon with the top chopped shorter and the front end changed. coil suspension could be easily added with some welding and axel swaps.