X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NC Rover
    2nd Gear
    • Dec 2007

Problems: Diagnosis welcomed (pics)

So I'm still new to rovers and I have discovered that I have more hybrid than original series rover. So for that, I apologize if nothing looks familiar.

Either way, I crawled under the Rover after driving it around town a good bit. Noticed theres a good bit of tranny/diff oil sprayed underneath but in a concentrated area surrounding the transfer case?.

Anyone know if this is going to be a huge job to fix or what the actual problem is?

Is there any type of additive that can slow or stop the leak?

Any thoughts are welcomed as well as what you think the problem is so I can head in the right direction to get it fixed. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm still learning the ropes. I'll get there one day.

**See Pictures Below

1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|
  • 4flattires
    4th Gear
    • Aug 2007

Is there oil on the ground?

From what I see, it appears the ujoint had a case of freedom of expression with a recent greasing. The ebrake drum would be pretty moist if it was the rear seal.

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Comment

• EASTTNROVER
      Low Range
      • Oct 2007

Looks cleaner than mine...
      MA1(SW)...AKA REAL NAVY.
      88" 1968' IIA -

Comment

• LaneRover
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by 4flattires
        From what I see, it appears the ujoint had a case of freedom of expression with a recent greasing. The ebrake drum would be pretty moist if it was the rear seal.

Jeff

I concur!

Brent
        1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
        1965 109 SW - nearly running well
        1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
        1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• friar mike
          1st Gear
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by LaneRover
          I concur!

Brent
          I will second that!
          Onward threw the fog

Comment

• greenmeanie
            Overdrive
            • Oct 2006

Lets put it this way. On my '71 nothing will rust from the bellhousing on back. Combined with desert living I still expect a perfect chassis under there next century.

James Bond had to have a man install a system like this on an Aston Martin. Wiser minds know he should have just driven a Series.

Cheers
            Gregor

Comment

• NC Rover
              2nd Gear
              • Dec 2007

Thanks for the input everyone.

I wiped it down and its definitly not the Ubolt. The spray is definitly coming from the small crack between the output shaft and the drum. Its not grease but more of a fine liquid....going to go with diff fluid. As it spins, it slings onto the muffler and burns off.

So you don't think its a seal problem?
              1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Comment

• friar mike
                1st Gear
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by NC Rover
                Thanks for the input everyone.

I wiped it down and its definitly not the Ubolt. The spray is definitly coming from the small crack between the output shaft and the drum. Its not grease but more of a fine liquid....going to go with diff fluid. As it spins, it slings onto the muffler and burns off.

So you don't think its a seal problem?
                if it looks and smells like gear oil then it must be a rear seal just R&R it not too tuff. you would think it would be running out at the drums edge too.(where the drum meets the backing plate)
                Onward threw the fog

Comment

• Mercedesrover
                  3rd Gear
                  • Oct 2006

If it was the rear output seal, you'd be leaking between the drum and backer.

Underneath the driveshaft yoke is a nut. Under the nut is a crappy felt and rubber seal. Not a lot of oil gets past the output spline but I'd guess that rear nut is loose, the spline is a little worn and that felt seal is junk. All three things make for a leaky output shaft.

Get yourself a new flet seal, pull the driveshaft and nut and replace. Make sure everything is tight going back together.

jim
                  www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• NC Rover
                    2nd Gear
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mercedesrover
                    If it was the rear output seal, you'd be leaking between the drum and backer.

Underneath the driveshaft yoke is a nut. Under the nut is a crappy felt and rubber seal. Not a lot of oil gets past the output spline but I'd guess that rear nut is loose, the spline is a little worn and that felt seal is junk. All three things make for a leaky output shaft.

Get yourself a new flet seal, pull the driveshaft and nut and replace. Make sure everything is tight going back together.

jim
                    Awesome. Thanks guys for the great info. I will get on this asap. Just need to find the best place to buy the replacement seals, etc first.

Comment

• KevinNY
                      4th Gear
                      • Oct 2006

BTW you have a badly bent tie rod.
                      The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• friar mike
                        1st Gear
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by KevinNY
                        Man good eye I didn't see that one. as for parts check out our sponser's .
                        Onward threw the fog

Comment

• jp-
                          5th Gear
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by KevinNY
                          Jesus, just jesus. Eyes in the back of your head.
                          61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                          66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                          66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                          67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                          88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• Terrys
                            Overdrive
                            • May 2007

Also looks like your front pinion shaft seal is south for the winter.

Comment

• NC Rover
                              2nd Gear
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Terrys
                              Also looks like your front pinion shaft seal is south for the winter.
                              Guys thanks for the heads up. The vehicle sat under a shed for 3 1/2 years without moving.

First thing was to get it up and running good. So I accomplished goal #1....could use a good carb tuning but for the most part, it runs great.

#2 will be replacing those seals and a tie rod. I need to get under there and inspect further.

I know the exhaust manifold has a small leak somewhere but I haven't had a chance to pinpoint it. I believe its coming from the gasket between the bottom of the manifold where it channels into the muffler, etc. That will be #3.

Comment

Working...