PDA

View Full Version : Was flat finish paint an option on series trucks?

thixon
01-07-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm in a bit of a debate with a buddy of mine. He's got a really nice IIA, that has been painted with a flat finish paint. I'm not aware of an option for flat finish, but I could be wrong. He says it was an option from the factory.

My take is that everyone is used to seeing rovers with old, oxidized finishes, and its just a coincidence in his case that the previous owner liked a flat finish look when he re-painted. Hell, I like how it looks, I just don't think its "original" as he thinks.

I am talking non-military by the way.

LaneRover
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I know that as late as the 70's my grandfather would opt out of a shiny finish on the cars he bought. Now, it was a Chevy not a Rover but if Chevy had shiny paint listed as an option then who knows, maybe Land Rover did.

Brent

singingcamel
01-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Nope, the series rovers were painted with a enamel finish which fades really fast if left outside to long...

thixon
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys. I will appropriatly educate him on the subject of paint. I have to admit though, I'm seriously thinking of painting mine in flat finish!

4flattires
01-10-2008, 06:25 AM
...just drop if off at my house. We'll have a glossy finish pantina'd to flat in just a few years. We also offer whats called desert pinstriping for no extra charge. Just leave the keys. :thumb-up:

Jeff

thixon
01-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Jeff,

I'm in Georgia, I can make some glossy paint flat as well! I can also rust a frame out in not time flat! Not sure about the desert pinstiping though...

Jeff Aronson
01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
The Land Rover, as sold in the US, did not come with flat paint. I've never seen it listed as a UK or ROW option either. As you note, this does not include the special paint for military vehicles.

A good enamel finish, particularly when well waxed, will really take on the challenges of trails and farmwork quite well.

Jeff

jp-
01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
The Land Rover, as sold in the US, did not come with flat paint. I've never seen it listed as a UK or ROW option either. As you note, this does not include the special paint for military vehicles.

A good enamel finish, particularly when well waxed, will really take on the challenges of trails and farmwork quite well.

Jeff

Wax? What's that?

greenmeanie
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Wax? What's that?

Wax is a naturally occuring buildup that humans get in their ears. It is particularly useful to series owners who plan to engage in long overland journeys who may find it provides some level of hearing protection. If sufficient buildup is achieved it may be mixed with paraffin and used for rust protection of the chassis or bulkhead.

sayers
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
I think Jeff might agree on this, Series land rovers along with early defenders had what I would call a grade "b" paint job on them , not exactly like the ones that appear on high dollar trucks and cars.

PH4
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I have also seen many a $70k Range Rover within the past 5 years with faded paint and some with little to no paint left on the hood?

thixon
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm seriously thinking of going with a flat finish on my truck. I like how it looks, and its much easier to carry out. Plus, I just won't worry about it much in the woods. If I hate it, then I'll go back later with the gloss. Only problem is, I think I have a whole gallon of centari in bronze green in the garage (a different project that never happened). Guess I need to find out if I can get an additive for a flat finish to mix in!