PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to make of this one

thixon
01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-88-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ110211266105QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31849Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yet another great ebay rover (extreme sarcasm intended).

I'm not exactly an advocate for complete originality, but geez, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Bostonian1976
01-08-2008, 11:29 AM
um....what IS that?

KevinNY
01-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Honestly, beside the ugly roof and REdiculous tires it doesn't look like a bad truck.

sayers
01-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Why do people go and mess with a perfectly good thing ?

Eric W S
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Why do people go and mess with a perfectly good thing ?

x2!

yank
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Thats a very rare Defender 88!

greenmeanie
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
That thing pops up on e-bay every few months. I think he is having problems shifting it because:
a. It looks stupid.
b. Has lots of 'improvements' that nobody who likes series wants.
c. Did I say something about it's looks?

In it's defense:
That roof is an attempt to make a soft top cab with a hard top rear. I suppose he couldn't have used a normal soft top as there would be no place for the Defender 88 stickers. No, I don't know why either.

Style aside, someone put a lot of effort into that truck and seem to have at least achieved a reasonable level of workmanship.

It also seems to be rust free.

He doesn't seem to be trying to pass it off as a 'Defender conversion' price wise. I was expecting to seea 30K price tag.

Once it finally gets dropped in price it would make a good starting point for a restoration. A new top and front are not difficult or that expensive and then it's pulling off those ugly flares and laughable wheels. A good sort through the drivetrain is probably on the cards to check for overstressing from pushing all that rubber around. Compared to some candidates it looks to be purely a matter of spanner monkeying instead of fabrication so wouldn't be too bad.

Too expensive right now tho.

Cheers
Gregor

leafsprung
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
I know the guy that did this, he did it a long time ago. He is a very talented body/paint guy and does nice work. He has a little bit of an 80s aesthetic though. It didnt have those tires/wheels on it back then either. If I recall, back in the day I think Mark Letorney gave Dan some nice compliments on his work on this truck. Dan is a really great guy, cant say enough good things about him. This one isnt my cup of tea but I know its nicely done.

singingcamel
01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I've seen alot worse, but all in all ,our rovers are a extensions of us, we give them names, we love and protect them (sometimes)...we call them hims or hers ...
this gentleman may be a little more flashier than all of us.
Personallity is what we all strive for???or maybe just to be a little different, this is differrent..

thixon
01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm not knocking the workmanship, and I hope the guy can sell his truck. It just tickles me to see things like this from time to time. The series community is small, and most of us like our mods hidden from view, and done on the mechanical end of things rather than the asthetic. It just makes me laugh to see the "pimp my ride" rovers when they show up. I halfway expect to see Winston Churchill getting out of the rover after his "queer eye for the straight guy" makeover.

xrover
01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Pimp My Ride... Thats perfect. I was just thinking that about it. Although, It seems to be done well and I would think theres a series guy/gal out there that likes the Defender but, needs to know he/she is driving a series.

This one should do it for him/her...

Saxondog
01-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh, you guys are going to love me!!