PDA

View Full Version : SIII Clutch Issue

LandRoverRo
01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
So my clutch stopped working! I pulled enough stuff apart to peer through the inspection hole at the top of the bell housing and saw that the fulcrum had come out of its socket. Anyone had this happen?

I managed to stick it back in but what keeps it from jumping out again? I can't see any broken pieces inside and the way it is right now, it should work again once the slave cylinder's back on.

Any help greatly appreciated

Jeff Aronson
01-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I once adjusted mine poorly enough that it came out. The Haynes manual has the proper adjustment dimension for the two nuts at the slave cylinder, something just over 2 inches. I used a grade school compass to accomplish the measuring and it hasn't happened since then.

Jeff

Les Parker
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Geoff, I think you are referring to a IIa clutch system.
On the Ser III, the "U" shaped clip that locates the throw out bearing has been known to fall off, plus a weak/worn plastic socket on the back of the throw out arm can have its own issues.
Other than renewing these components, by sliding the trans. back, there is no surefire way of the same problem happening again.

SalemRover
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Checkout the manuals MercedesJim put's up on his website. Scroll to page 19 of part 4 of the manual. Diagram IRC 658 part number 7. That there is what you are looking for.

http://www.seriestrek.com/manuals/SIII_ROM_Part_4.pdf

That small spring clip and fixing holds it onto the fulcrum. Not sure if you can repair it if necessary without seperating the flywheel from the bellhousing.

Cheers,

Jason

LandRoverRo
01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks much for all your help. The fulcrum is still solidly attached to the fork/arm. There appears to be a retaining collar (RNC466) that the fulcrum slides into. Les (or anyone else), do you know if this collar actually holds the fulcrum in place? I can't see how it does.
I might try putting the slave back on and watching how it works to see if there is excessive play/slackness in the arm to determine if it'll fall off again. Based on what I see, I guess I'll order all the bits and make it as new as possible.
Thanks again everyone, and please feel free to keep throwing ideas at me.

Along with this project are oil leaks in g'box, t'fer case and overdrive that I'll try to fix while the floor is out. Can't quite see where the leaks are as yet so if anyone has any ideas, that would be great too.