PDA

View Full Version : RHD, diesel and 5 point harness, advice and opinions please

autoguy
01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
well i recon i found me a series rover, i havent bought it yet as i need to sell something first, but im looking at the RHD diesel that tntlr.com has for sale it is a 1968

well i would like opinions/advice on RHD and diesel, i know the diesel,s are slow, but i will only be driving in town so i wont be going more than 45 or 50 tops

how long does it take to get used to driving a RHD vehicle ?

now for a semi strange question, i want to mount and use a 5 point racing harness for the drivers seat, i know that without a roll cage a 5 point harness = bad, but has anyone used a 5 point or 4 point harness?, i mainly want it for the safety i was in a car wreck, a few years back, i didnt get hurt but i only had a standard seat belt, well now im kind of paranoid and want a 5 point harness

LaneRover
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
The first time I drove my RHD ex-mil 109 I felt like a drunk monkey that was having spasms. Within a day or two it became 2nd nature. Strangely enough it doesn't help with parallel parking.

As for 5 point harness. That would take some doing. I just installed regular 3 point belts in my 1966. I have driven it for a few years with no seatbelts and you can only tempt fate for so long. But if all you are going to use this Rover for is around town would a 4 or 5 point be overkill?

I like to remind people who say my Rover isn't safe that it does have a crumple zone but it keeps it in the other car.

autoguy
01-09-2008, 05:25 PM
The first time I drove my RHD ex-mil 109 I felt like a drunk monkey that was having spasms. Within a day or two it became 2nd nature. Strangely enough it doesn't help with parallel parking.

As for 5 point harness. That would take some doing. I just installed regular 3 point belts in my 1966. I have driven it for a few years with no seatbelts and you can only tempt fate for so long. But if all you are going to use this Rover for is around town would a 4 or 5 point be overkill?

I like to remind people who say my Rover isn't safe that it does have a crumple zone but it keeps it in the other car.

:lol: thanks, i figured it would be real weird at first driving a RHD but if it only takes a couple days to get used to than thats cool :)

so just a 2 or 3 point belt would be enough ? i just realized i am used to the seat belts in dads disco 2 so i guess i was just being paranoid, i feel safe with those belts :)

LaneRover
01-09-2008, 08:42 PM
The best part about having a RHD vehicle in the States is driving with your dog or a child in the 'drivers' seat. It also sometimes confuses the cops a bit in the New Year's Eve road blocks. The worst part is grabbing tickets from automated parking machines.

I would say that a 3 point belt would be fine. With a 2 point you might have an imprint of a 'banjo' steering wheel on your face if they ever really got 'used' in anger. I have 3 point static belts in an ex-military Land Rover I have and always felt at least OK about those.

Brent

friar mike
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I find backing through the micky-Ds drive through make them look twice.

Linus Tremaine
01-09-2008, 10:48 PM
When I was looking for my current 109 I didnt want an RHD. I found one and it happen to be RHD and I ended up buying it anyway. I happen to like it. There is better access to the clutch and brake master cylinders, the exhaust isnt heating up the area under your feet. There is also more foot room (atleast compared to my LHD six cylinder)

I find that an RHD rover seems all to fit together better. I am left handed so its plenty easy to drive. Took me about 10 minutes. I cannot really tell the difference when I switch trucks. I dont even think about it anymore.

THey are typically worth less than LHD trucks though.

autoguy
01-09-2008, 11:20 PM
LaneRover, :D thats hilarious, thanks for the info on the seat belts too :)

friar mike, lol, i recon the look on there face is hilarious :)

Linus Tremaine, thanks that makes sense, i figured the RHD would be worth more being as i didnt think many RHD where imported but im guessing that most people want LHD :)

greenmeanie
01-10-2008, 09:44 AM
You might also want to check your local DOT laws. I forget the details but in some states you need to retain a seat belt for road use even if you have a 5 point harness.

The other thing to bear in mind about the harness is that with a RHD you will probably end up wanting to lean out your window or across the cab to get those tickets/mickey D's/Tacky Hells or explain to the officier why your dog is driving the truck. It will be much more of a pain being contrained bya harness than a 3 point inertia real belt.

Finally, if you're concerned about safety, after modern inertia real belts adding high back seats comes a close second for minimising whiplash.

Cheers
Gregor

LaneRover
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
There is better access to the clutch and brake master cylinders, the exhaust isnt heating up the area under your feet. There is also more foot room (atleast compared to my LHD six cylinder).

I agree completely with these statements. Except that the exhaust not heating up the area under your feet is both good AND bad if you are driving in New England.

As for police questions about the dog driving just let them know that yes your dog IS licensed and that you never once let her off her leash.

autoguy
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
GM, I had not thought about leaning out the window, recon I will just go with 3 point belts :)

Lanerover, my car has the same foot warmers, aka exhaust heat but on steroids, my car has racing headers :) LOL about the dog :D our boxer pup likes to ride in the car and dads disco :)

gobie desert
01-10-2008, 08:01 PM
my last landy was of the diesel family, great gas mileage. she had a 40 gallon fuel cell (very custom) and i think i got about 800 miles on one tank. but of course it took me 3 days just to get around the block. too slow for me so i sold her and opted for a stage 1 v-8 and this ones a RHD. the RHD is a blast, took about a week or so to really get used to it. but it is no problem. count on this...your rover will always draw a crowd at the local hardware store, you proudly walk back to your landy, then you proceed to get in the passenger side (drivers side on all other vehicles) thinking someone has made off with your steering wheel. now if you think quick you can still save face and pretend you were just checking the door locks or forget something in the cubby box. then smoothly get out walk back into the store and try again getting into the right side.
have fun with her...

autoguy
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
thanks for the info and tip, i recon i will probably have to use that trick a couple of times for the first week or two :)

now if i can get my watch sold i can buy the RHD 88 im looking at :)

Donnie
01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
The only thing that will take you a few daze to get used to is pulling out to pass someone on a 2 lane road........unless you live in Amish country, & driving a diesel, that probably is your least concern..........Donnie

autoguy
01-13-2008, 11:49 PM
The only thing that will take you a few daze to get used to is pulling out to pass someone on a 2 lane road........unless you live in Amish country, & driving a diesel, that probably is your least concern..........Donnie

thanks for the info :) i live in the city so thats not a problem :)

well hopefully i will get to get the 88 im looking at sooner than later, maybe sooner if this deal goes through, i will be joining the community very soon :)