PDA

View Full Version : bonnet differences?

O'Brien
01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
is there a difference between a deluxe dished bonnet from series IIA to series III, or are they identical? aside from the bolt to hinge pattern of course... thanks!

giorgio
01-10-2008, 07:14 AM
It is sort of hard to see in this picture, but front edge of a Series IIA is more "rolled over" looking that the Series III.

TSR53
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
It is sort of hard to see in this picture, but front edge of a Series IIA is more "rolled over" looking that the Series III.
Correct, the Deluxe Bonnets (dished and non-dished) are all rolled over looking as opposed to the regular bonnet. The only difference between series II, IIA and III is the type of hinge. All bonnets are interchangeable. Pics for ref.

Regular Series II non-dished bonnet (ex-Jaguar factory grounds VIP go-kart :sly:)
http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Series-II-regular-bonnet1.jpg

Deluxe dished bonnet (Bob Lowe's INCA Trail rallye 109)
http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Series-IIA-deluxe-bonnet1.jpg

http://c7716.r16.cf2.rackcdn.com/RN-Forum/users/TSR53/Series-IIA-deluxe-bonnet3.jpg

LaneRover
01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Also as you can see in the last picture when the Deluxe bonnet has the mount for the tire the bonnet has a 'depression' built into it while on the regular bonnet there is no 'depression' for the tire to sit in.

Brent

O'Brien
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
thanks for the pics friends. I understand the differences between the standard bonnet and the deluxe and deluxe dished varients. I was mostly wondering if there is a specific difference between the deluxe dished bonnets fitted to IIA's and series III's. I'm looking to replace my seriously bent deluxe dished bonnet on my IIA and i have come upon some NOS deluxe dished series III bonnets. trying to find our if there is a difference. Thanks!

Jeff Aronson
01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I have looked at some period advertisements for Series III vehicles with the "deluxe" bonnet and really can't see any difference. I've never seen a Series III "deluxe" bonnet because the SW wasn't formally imported here in that model, just the unique NADA hardtop.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Jeff

Leslie
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
The hinges are different; they bolt on, so you can swap them as need be.

My III had a flat hood, and I switched it to the deluxe dished type.

FWIW, I've seen deluxe bonnets w/o the dished out tyre mount, that were flat across there, too. Reason I went w/ a dished out versus the flat was so that I could gain that much extra visibility over the spare....

O'Brien
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
jeff -

thanks for chiming in. i haven't really been able to see a difference either. i've got a couple of options in replacing my trashed bonnet, i just want to make sure that whatever i end purchasing fits the way it's supposed to. if anyone else has any insight, i sure would appreciate it. thanks friends!

O'Brien
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
leslie -

you're right on that count. I don't think i could switch to something other than a dished bonnet. being 6' 3" i can barely see out the windscreen as it is!

sven
01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
On a topic of bonnets: Whats the biggest tire you can fit on the bonnet? I have 235/85/16, will that fit?

S11A
01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
One thing to consider on the dished bonnet - if you are running a larger-than-stock tire, it may not fit down into the dish and instead lie mostly on top of the surface of the bonnet. If the spare is larger than stock you may also need longer fixing bolts and to possibly reposition the rub bumpers (or whatever they are called).

giorgio
01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I quess I spoke too soon, and from a point of view that was not very broadly experienced. I did not know the difference between deluxe and standard, or that they were both available on all Series.

Thanks for broadening my knowledge base.

O'Brien
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
no worries man! i've learned so much from this board and wonderful group of people, it's a great place to build up your knowledge of series rigs. i don't know where i would be without it!

I quess I spoke too soon, and from a point of view that was not very broadly experienced. I did not know the difference between deluxe and standard, or that they were both available on all Series.

Thanks for broadening my knowledge base.

carl k
01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I believe the structure that holds the hood latch pin is different also. The early models have the pin attached to a plate that runs side to side and bolts to the bonnet stiffening ribs. The later models have the pin on a z-shaped bracket welded to the framework that forms the front of the bonnet. However the pin is in the same location for both styles, so they are interchangeable.

regards,
Carl K.

Jeff Aronson
01-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Good point on the "deluxe" bonnet without the dish indent! I've seen them in contemporary ads also.

I run 16" 's and they fit in the dished "deluxe" bonnet. There's plenty of room to bolt down a wider tire, but not a larger diameter tire.

Jeff

yorker
01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
On a topic of bonnets: Whats the biggest tire you can fit on the bonnet? I have 235/85/16, will that fit?

yes, and if you had the mounting hardware you could even put a 9.00 16 on the hood:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/sepp45/oneton-1.jpg

O'Brien
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
yorker do you have any other images like the one you posted, because that thing is awesome!

were there differences in the suspension set up of the 1tons? i really like the look of that one

yorker
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
yorker do you have any other images like the one you posted, because that thing is awesome!

were there differences in the suspension set up of the 1tons? i really like the look of that one

I'll put it in a new thread so we don't Hijack this one!:thumb-up:

O'Brien
01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
thanks man!