PDA

View Full Version : High speed for a Series?

PH4
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I do not have overdrives in my 72 IIA or 69 IIA but drive them often bewtween 55-60 mph. The 62 IIA is a former FFR with no syncromesh. The 72 IIA is syncromesh. Do the above speeds harm my motors or transmissions? Stock are they built to consistently handle this speed?

Further, 60mph is tops on dead flat road on a non-windy day with no passengers. Is this normal or are my engines lacking normal 2.25 power?

sayers
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I have a 74 88 and about 50-55 is all mind will go, so you are doing well at 60. I don't think that driving at that speed for short distants will hurt the engine, but remember these truck were made for rough terrian driving at slow speeds and not the american highways. adding an overdrive unit would really help in engine wear. good luck.

PH4
01-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Drove it 5 1/2 hours yesterday at 55mph. Slightly more quite than riding in a helicopter, slightly. I will eventually put an overdrive in but for now I am stuck with stock. If motors have trouble pushing 60mph now am I really going to get a much higher speed out of an overdrive?

Jim-ME
01-10-2008, 03:17 PM
An overdrive isn't really suposed to give you a higher top end. They were designed to reduce wear on Series engines and give a little better mileage as well. You can go faster at your top end rpms but from one who pushed a Series Rover from CT to ME evey other weekend it was the long distance higher rpms which lead to an earlier demise of my engine than I would have liked.
Jim

greenmeanie
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Well on my 71 IIA 88 with 30 X 9.5 rubber and a Roverdrive the speedo tells me I can push her up to 70 mph. I think that given the realms of scientific measurement error in a Rover speedo that it is more likely to be 65 mph in reality. The engine was mildly breathed on with Turner head, 2.5 cam, Rochester, K&N and electronic ignition.

I used to do 1K miles a week like this on the I10 between Phx and Tucson. I wouldn't say I could beat any land speed records but it was fast enough that I could happily rumble along with the big rigs in the inside lane. You still slow down on long climbs. If you stay on top of your maintenance and your revs below 4K the engine should be just fine on the freeway - if anything giving it a good blast helps blow out any carbon build up.

My bank manger will tell you that trying to push a series along at high rpm or high (relative here) speed will trash your originally naff fuel consumption.

Cheers
Gregor

ChrisB
01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I have a '70 IIA 88 with a Fairey O/D. It tops out at 60 mph going downhill and with a tailwind. Drove it from Vero Beach, FL to Birmingham, AL recently, and I felt like I had just driven a stagecoach 750 miles. I also just regained my hearing from that experience.:)

O'Brien
01-10-2008, 04:35 PM
i've got a chevy 4.1L straight six in mine. with the overdrive, i manage 75 on the freeway in my 109 stationw agon no problem. the one long trip i took (driving it home from the previous owner when i bought it) i kept it pegged at about 65 the whole way, then mid 50's over the grapevine here in southern california

PH4
01-10-2008, 04:50 PM
A larger engine (especially a Mercedes Diesel) is tempting but for me I really like to keep my Series as stock as possible. I did install parabolics on one and will put an overdive in one day but I think that is about as far as I will go other than maybe some performance mods to the 2.25. I think many of the modifications you can do to a Series are great but I like/need to keep it simple.

I am curious in regards to those who have 2.25s in the mountains and hills. I am in dead flat land and always wondered what it must be like trying to get one for a length of time up a hill at speed.

Jeff Aronson
01-10-2008, 05:09 PM
My '66 II-A with at least 300,000 miles on a rebuilt engine has been run with and without the overdrive. As noted above, the overdrive does not increase final speed. It just increases the final drive ratio so that you will go down the road with more reasonable mpg and decibel level.

The Rover 2.25 makes a lot of noise but it's actually only running about 4,000 rpm when you "put the pedal to the metal." On my Rover, I can do 60-65 without overdrive, 70 downhill. With the overdrive engaged, it runs at the same speed but sounds different.

As for hills, they will reduce my top speed on interstate climbs, or back road inclines. The overdrive is actually helpful there as it gives you an "intermediate" gear for upshifts without losing as much speed. When my previous engine was very tired, I would slow down to 40-45 on interstate hills in northern New England. With the current engine, I find myself slowing down only to 55 or so on steep interstate hills.

A properly maintained engine [oil changes, tappet adjustments, point adjustments and replacements] will last a long time. Highway running has not weakened my engine over hundreds of thousands of miles.

As an aside, I run a Weber carb, which does run lean. My other II-A has only 46,000 original miles and the original Solex. It has better acceleration and on a trip from Vermont to Maine, maintained 55-60 mph on hilly, two lane roads.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

ChrisB
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I am curious in regards to those who have 2.25s in the mountains and hills. I am in dead flat land and always wondered what it must be like trying to get one for a length of time up a hill at speed.[/quote]

I have a rebuilt 2.25 and run a Weber carb. Birmingham is very hilly and my IIA accelerates "ok" uphill, but as you might imagine, I am not winning any races around here.

LaneRover
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
My 1969 109 p-up with a ex-mil rebuilt motor and an overdrive cruised across the country at about 70.

I have had my 1965 109 SW up to 72 with no overdrive and it will cruise at 60. Of course it LOVES 45-50 on back roads the best.

They both see the hills before I do and will slow down accordingly. The P-up is no where near as bad as the SW though.

Brent

yorker
01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I can ram around at 65 most of the time- that hs with a tired engine block but new head and 2 barrel Weber. Hills kill it and it of course prefers 45-50 MPH. I don't think I'd dare use it on the interstates here, the slow vehicles here seem to be going 70-75 and with all the nutters on the road the 88" just seems like an accident waiting to happen. When I rebuild the Ambulance it will have something with enough power to get it both into and out of trouble. ;)

Bostonian1976
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Hmm - I think my Rover can easily do 65-70....it just screams when it's doing it. My normal speeds are 55 or so. It doesn't slow down too much on hills either.

Plenty of power - unfortunately plenty of oil leak right now too....

thixon
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
My old sIII would cruise at 70 on I-20 with no problem. This was after an engine rebuild, and with a fairey OD.

Tim Smith
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
A properly maintained engine [oil changes, tappet adjustments, point adjustments and replacements] will last a long time. Highway running has not weakened my engine over hundreds of thousands of miles.

I can attest to Jeff's Comments above about a properly tuned engine giving good life and usability.

My airportable was bought *almost* sight unseen with a turner 2.5 (I think) and a roverdrive that ran like a raped ape. I picked it up in Jacksonville, FL and drove straight back home to CT. On the way back I distinctly remember seeing the speedometer pass 85 mph for a short while as I was passing some big rigs and an irate Jeeper that I had just cut off. :o

In fact to tell you the truth, the truck had more peddle in her but it sounded like Armageddon so I decided to back off before the main lay shaft ended up in the passenger seat.

The down side is that I think the motor wasn't properly maintained in it's earlier life. There was always a bit of smoke and I was sure there was a rod knock after further inspection. I think the previous owner was doing a lot of stop light racing for whatever reason :p.

I've since switched out that motor and it's awaiting a tear down to see what was actually making the knock. She'll still hit 80+ mph with the stock 2.25 I put in there (witnessed by GPS) but only if you keep everything in proper tune.

daveb
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
my 109 will cruise at 80. top speed is closer to 90. that is with 3 liter mercruiser conversion and ashcroft hi ratio box.

She'll still hit 80+ mph with the stock 2.25 I put in there (witnessed by GPS) but only if you keep everything in proper tune.

chester rides again
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I routinely do 90+ mph up here in northern NY. The biggest improvement to top speed has been the rear spoiler and N2O kit. I also switched the 16" wheels to some very low profile 20" slicks. My best speeds have come with the p/u top off and the windscreen lowered, but it hurts like hell catching bugs in the eye, :sly: Finally, I lowered the truck also so it's a bit limited off-road but heck, I'm all about speed :eek:

Why on earth would you want to push these things with such limited high speed safety equipment installed? I like taking the State Route that parallels the Interstate.

Then again, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere in particular. If I was I'd drive one of our other cars...

leafsprung
01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
If you are only going 90 with nitrous, youre doing something wrong.:D

I drive 55 most places. But passing an unsuspecting Porshe Cayanne up the Siskyiou at 100mph in a 50 year old beat up series truck is kinda fun . . . Mostly I avoid the temptation.

Personally, I go fast in beat up old Land Rovers (if I go fast at all) because piles of beat up old land rovers is all Ive got (besides a motorbike which is another excercise in restraint unto itself)

friar mike
01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
(besides a motorbike which is another excercise in restraint unto itself)
I hear-ya brother. I desided to sell my 1100 Ninga because it was going to kill me one day. at 45 years old I still didn't have enuff restraint to keep it under 150 mph. I know Iam not bullet proof like I was when I was 20 but still have that "need for speed" so I had to remove the temptation and by a BMW GS it will only go 130.:D but mostly run at 80 (on the drit)

1961 109 WAGON
01-11-2008, 11:23 PM
you guys got it all wrong. if you cant hit 100mph, its because you havent put dual exhaust and a fuel injection processer on it
the only time ive heard of a series going over 75 mph is when it was on tow wrecker:D

friar mike
01-11-2008, 11:49 PM
you guys got it all wrong. if you cant hit 100mph, its because you havent put dual exhaust and a fuel injection processer on it
the only time ive heard of a series going over 75 mph is when it was on tow wrecker:D
I seen one at 90 on a slideback.

JimCT
01-12-2008, 08:20 AM
We are running 255/85-R16s on the ambulance. It seems happiest at about 3500 to 3600 rpm, which is abit over 60mph. And that is a fully loaded truck, a bit over 6200 lbs teh day we set off for a month in NS. Have done over 60K, run Red-Line in the axles and gearbox, Mobil 1, 0w-40 i n the engine.

Les Parker
01-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I remember seeing a Series III Airportable exceed 150 mph, when dropped from a C130 and the chute did not open...... not pretty when it stopped rolling. There's a lot of parts that make up a vehicle, and quite an area of a field can be covered with debris from the point of impact with mother earth and a Landrover from 2000 ft !!

leafsprung
01-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Ive been in a series truck capable of 120mph. Theres many that will go 100. I know of at least one that would go 150+ (and not off a cliff/out of a plane)

SHORLAND
01-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I have been looking for the perfect combo in power and reliabilty for a Land Rover with the ability to cruise at 70MPH for long ranges. Its safer than going 60MPH due to the idiots who will try and pass you on a blind curve or crest. I reall really like the idea of going with a Mercededs diesel engine. I believe 70 MPH is a realistic goal for us.

leafsprung
01-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I reall really like the idea of going with a Mercededs diesel engine. I believe 70 MPH is a realistic goal for us.

until you hit a hill with that diesel :D

scott
01-12-2008, 11:55 AM
i've posted this before and this string seems more approriate...my '64 iia swb hit 90 mph up hill while pushing my wife's lr3. and i know if you saw us you would of asked, if we were pushing vs being towed then why were we sitting in the lr3...well the seats up there were more comfortible :rolleyes:

thixon
01-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Is there a website somewhere that details the merc deisel swap?

CMorris
01-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Jim Young in CT has list of things to consider fo the Merc swap. www.Seriestrek.com (http://www.Seriestrek.com)
Ike also has some great photos on his site www.pangolin4x4.com (http://www.pangolin4x4.com)
I'm just finishing up the 240D swap into a '60 SII 88.

Tim Smith
01-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm just finishing up the 240D swap into a '60 SII 88.

You do realize that you now have to let us know all about it, don't you? :D

Grover73
01-13-2008, 12:47 AM
We have three land rovers in our family. Two 88's and a 109. They all run stock 2.25's that have been rebuilt at one time. Both of the 61's (88" and 109") have had the speedo needle hitting the wrong side of the peg at 0mph. And that was with 29" tires and a overdrive. I had my 73 88" out on the mass pike one day and was clocked at 84 mph with 29" tires and no overdrive on the flats with no tail wind. I'm now saying these speeds are safe but a rover with a well mantianed motor will run at these speeds.

Cheers, Grover

teechizpet
01-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I once got a warning ticket for doing 68 MPH in my all stock 74 Lightweight FFR. 60-65 MPH is not too difficult on the interstate.

GrFa
01-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I had my 73 88" out on the mass pike one day and was clocked at 84 mph with 29" tires and no overdrive on the flats with no tail wind.

How did you manage that in a stock series? That is nearly 5300rpm. I thought 2.25s blew up around 4500-5000rpm.

greenmeanie
01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
How did you manage that in a stock series? That is nearly 5300rpm. I thought 2.25s blew up around 4500-5000rpm.

He's probably running undersize tyres for one. I can't comment on the 88 but I don't think the 109 ever came with anything less than 7.5X16.

How much the speedo is over reading depends on the OEM tyre size and the speedo fitted. If he is running a speedo sized for 7.5X16 tyres but only running 29's then it could be as much as much as 10% out.

Cheers
Gregor

Grover73
01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, the tires are undersize and the speedo reads fast. I was clocked by a friend in his new truck. My motor was all original lower with a 8.5:1 recon head and was nice and loose and loved to rev high:). And yes they will someday blow up when reved that high:(. Mine took 6 years of daily driving and 4 more years of part time use like this to blow. Not bad for a motor over 40 years old (Ser II motor) and of all things it was the recon head that let go.

Cheers, Ryan

GrFa
01-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, the tires are undersize and the speedo reads fast. I was clocked by a friend in his new truck. My motor was all original lower with a 8.5:1 recon head and was nice and loose and loved to rev high:). And yes they will someday blow up when reved that high:(. Mine took 6 years of daily driving and 4 more years of part time use like this to blow. Not bad for a motor over 40 years old (Ser II motor) and of all things it was the recon head that let go.

Cheers, Ryan

Well thats pretty good to hear actually. And to think I was worried about spinning mine up to 4k rpm/70mph. However, mine is all original late IIa with 69k miles. I can't wait to see what blows first.