PDA

View Full Version : 92 RRC Ignition Module Help

usjess
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, and could use your help.
I have a '92 RRC, ignition module went bad. I've ordered a new one, and find that the replacement part has 3 mating electrical pins where the harness attaches to it. My '92 RRC harness has only two pins. My '92 RRC is missing its original connector, its having been replaced by just standard female blade connectors (2 each). The two wires in the harness are color coded - one is white, the other is white with a black chaser stripe.

The new module has a connector with the three pins being numbered 1,2,3.

I have the factory manual for my '92, but the schematic and manual illustrations all show the two pin setup, no info. on the 3 pin replacement module.

I'm told the 3 pin is the only replacement module available. I've been told that there is a 'pigtail' harness assy. available, to adapt these, and I sure don't mind spending the coin for it, but as I am missing my original connector, I may be no better off with it.

So, my question is, how do I determine which of the three pins on the module each of my two harness wires should be attached to?

I've got a FLUKE model 70 and am not scared to use it, so don't hold back.
Thanks for any help.
Jess
PS, I love Rovers. And right now, I'm saying to myself - "I love my 92 RRC, I love my 92 RRC,I love my 92 RRC, I love my 92 RRC,....":)

phoenix
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I have done this conversion about 5 times but for the life of me I cannot remember the wire position, yes indeed there is a pigtail conversion where one wire is left open, if the wire position is crossed it does not hurt anithing, you simply dont get spark so crosse'm again and voila.

usjess
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks, Phoenix.

Good to know this info. My concern was just that - that an incorrect pinout might fry the unit.

I've got a hunch on which two it is, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

Jess

usjess
01-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Phoenix,

Thanks again, worked great, got lucky on first try.

On mine, turned out to be the outside two pins on the module - with the forward pin (closest to radiator) receiving the white w/ black stripe wire, and the aft pin (closest to firewall) receiving the white wire, with the middle pin going un-utilised.

Thanks!
Jess

phoenix
01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
ideal, anytime, I just wish I could have been able to give more and better info, but anyways I am glad it worked.

TSR53
01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Phoenix,

Thanks again, worked great, got lucky on first try.

On mine, turned out to be the outside two pins on the module - with the forward pin (closest to radiator) receiving the white w/ black stripe wire, and the aft pin (closest to firewall) receiving the white wire, with the middle pin going un-utilised.

Thanks!
Jess
Welcome to the RoversNorth Forum! We'd all love to see photos of your Range Rover when you get a chance. A great thread to do this in is here >>
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466

usjess
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi TSR,

I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for the welcome!

Jess:D