PDA

View Full Version : Tropical top paint colors

jrod770
01-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I am currently restoring a 88" '72 Series 3 and I'm switching it from the standard hard top to a tropical top. The problem is that I've seen these painted several different ways and I'm trying to figure out what was original. I've seen all limestone tops, tops with the sides the body color and the whole top limestone, and then last, the whole top painted the body color and the sunshade only in limestone. Does anyone know which is correct, or is this another one of those things that it just depends on what day it came out of the factory? Thanks for your help.

Bostonian1976
01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
it depends on year. I believe - correct me if I'm wrong -that 72's couldn't even come with a trop top (or is it just that station wagons weren't available but the trop top still was?).

leafsprung
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Station Wagons - top/roof sides body color while the sunsheet is limestone

Non station wagons - tops are entirely limestone

Your truck, if its NADA would have been all limestone because no station wagons were sold in the US after 67. But none were sold with full trop tops either (only the sunsheet was optional, no vents or alpine windows)

O'Brien
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
ike are you just talking about the 88's? because my NADA 6cyl 109 has it's original full trop top w/vents and glass. maybe im just misreading your post. for what it's worth mine is all body color with a limeston shade.

jrod770
01-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Just to clarify, my truck is an 88".

leafsprung
01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
maybe im just misreading your post

A little. NADA is north american dollar area, not specifically the NADA 6 cylinder 109s which are often abrieviated "NADA". Your truck is also a 66 and therefore not "after 67". After 1967 the US recieved no station wagons, or 109s, only deluxe hardtops. "Deluxe hardtops" were painted like the utility models not the wagons.

Just to clarify, my truck is an 88".

Doesnt matter. Both wheelbases got the same color schemes for utility and station wagon models.

Leslie
01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Paint it how you like, IMHO.

My SIII 88" had a trop-top switched onto it at some point it its past. The sunsheet, roof, and roofsides were limestone, while the rest was marine blue. I had to replace so many panels on the lower body, I *had* to paint, and while I liked marine blue okay, there were just *so* many marine blue ones around, I changed the color to cameron green. I painted the roofsides to matche the rest of the body, so, from the gutter down is green. The roof, sunsheet, and wheels are limestone.

FWIW.

thixon
01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Leslie,

Can you supply a photo? I know there is a color called Cameron green, but have been wondering which "green" it was.

O'Brien
01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
ike, that's what i thought you meant. i think i was just too tired from work yesterday. thanks for the clarification:thumb-up:

Leslie
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Cameron green is a lot like conniston green, both are a lot like a British racing green. Start w/ a "normal" green, then darken it down by richening it, for any three. Conniston, I would say, has a tinge more yellow in it, cameron would have a tinge more blue. You wouldn't call either one 'yellow-green' or 'blue-green', it's just a tint.

I've never put all the pictures of my Rover's rebuild on their own site as I've intended to do, but, there are pics of progress all over Dweb... (the one on my profile there is before Ike's bumper was on there, nor was the back door even, http://www.discoweb.org/forums/member.php?u=473 ).

If you google 'cameron green', you'll find a lot of Rover P6/3500 cars that color... ( http://www.tweedehands.net/pics/00/00/40/74/63/1c.jpg as an example ) it was where I found/decided on it.... I like conniston but it wasn't period, cameron was a '71-'74 color, so for my '72... have to admit, I really like it and I've not seen another Series that color, but, it's a very appropriate color for it, it looks right. Marine blue, half of the Series at MAR were that color my fist year. I like Poppy red, but there are/were nine of them in the Roanoke vicinity, up the road (at least by my count at one time). Pastel is okay but not my favorite, the grays are okay but, just okay, I didn't want an all-limestone one.... Actually, a good fresh coat of bronze green is nice, but, as it ages, they darken, going a bit closer to an olive drab...

jrod770
01-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for everyone's help with this. I kind of assumed I would paint it how I wanted it, but also, I wanted it to be close to the factory appearance. I guess if I wanted to keep it stock, I should have kept the deluxe top on it, but I like the looks of the tropical better. The rest of the truck is pastel green, I'm thinking about doing roof sides the same color and the top all limestone.