PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Hole

robertmazur
01-13-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.raincode.net/fastweb/radiator_1.jpg
http://www.raincode.net/fastweb/radiator_2.jpg

The tar-like bond or plug at the top of my radiator has sprung a hole. The links above have 2 pictures to show what I am talking about.

How do you repair this? Would a shop have that substance to replace the hole with? Or is there supposed to be a threaded plug there? Or.....?

Thanks,
Rob

phoenix
01-13-2008, 07:53 PM
that is just a bleed plug, many guys have gone to the local home depot and purchased a regular 1/2 inch pipe plug to thread in there, others have called and gotten the factory plug from the host.

robertmazur
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the response. I will probably go do that. I wonder why mine had that bonding material (that is like a hard tar) in there rather than a threaded plug? Does that make any sense?

Rob

phoenix
01-14-2008, 08:12 PM
never seen that before.

Les Parker
01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
From the pix I have seen, it looks like the remnants of of the original plastic fill plug. From what I've garnished from other folks, the plastic plug replaced the brass plug as a safety release item.

robertmazur
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
So do think think then that is would be wise to use plastic again? Or would any material work?

I guess I could go to my local hardware store today and see what they have. 1/2" you say?

phoenix
01-16-2008, 07:40 PM
either one is good,.....yes I think the size is 1/2 inch pipe thread.....

Jamilton
01-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Robert,

Les is right. That is the remnants of your old plug. There used to be a hex head where there is now a hole.

Mine looked exactly like that after I tried to remove the plug for a coolant change (per the manual). Getting the remnants out is a bear. I had to use a sharp chisel and a shop vac because the old plastic plug was welded to the soft brass threads and wouldn't turn out. Also, there is a fat little o-ring that needs to be replaced for a good seal (yours is gone now).

I replaced the plastic plug in kind and will change it out every 2 years when I change my coolant. The plastic plugs and new o-rings are pretty cheap.

Good luck,