PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Drain and Flush

ChrisB
01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
My IIA's control valve for the heater blew, and I am awaiting back-ordered part from our hosts to repair it. When I do, I want to drain and flush the radiator.

Can y'all give any tips to a rookie on draining and flushing the system?

Also, what type/brand of rad. fluid do you recommend?

What mixture of fluid and water do you recommend? Winter temps in Birmingham, AL often dip below freezing and occasionally into the teens.

Finally, I have a late IIA (1970). There is no "obvious" place for a heater control lever to go on the dashbooard. Prior to the valve going, I just opened bonnet and open/closed lever on valve assembly.

FYI. I am running a 2.25L petrol.

Thanks,

Chris

scott
01-13-2008, 09:34 PM
it was fairly easy on mine. i had to spay a little liquid wrench on the pepcock located bottom of radiator driver's side. i have a LHD

greenmeanie
01-13-2008, 09:57 PM
The heater valve is controlled using a push/pull cable. It should be mounted in the same panel as the oil pressure gauge at about the 4 or 5 o'oclock position from said gauge.

If it is missing there is a cable available from Checkers/Kraggen or whatever its called where you are that looks right and is the right length but very cheap.

WHen routing it it pays to sleeve the top end in the engine bay with plastic or rubber hose to prevent it shorting out the coil. Yes, that was another duh moment for me.

For the valve you will also probably need the adapter boss from the thermostat housign to the valve as this changed on the SIII from the original SIIA design. On the SIIA tere was a mounting bracket and a short piece of hose. On the SIII the bracket is deleted and a rigid boss RNC568 used instead.

I hope this helps
Gregor

ChrisB
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Gregor:

Thanks for the tips on both issues. I will look into the cable.

It's actually the adapter - RNC568 - that is on back-order.

I appreciate your help.:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
01-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Can the short hose/bracket mounting on a 2a be replaced with the later adapter? Try Rovers Down South for the adapter if you are in a hurry.
Jim

greenmeanie
01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Can the short hose/bracket mounting on a 2a be replaced with the later adapter? Jim
Yes