PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft woes

jackson01disc
01-14-2008, 07:03 AM
My front drive shaft has went out at the front joint. I have already ordered a new one and Rovers North said this was a common problem for discos. My question is though when I took out my front drive train should I not be able to still drive with rear wheel power. Mine would not, also would it be possible to just replace the joint and not the whole $400 dollar part?? Any answers would be GREATLY appreciated!!

BackInA88
01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Check out this posting it will tell you where to look for the CDL nipple.
http://muddyoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6935
LR still had the CDL nipple on early production 01's, I got lucky and have it!
If you do you can reach up and turn the nipple with a 10mm wrench clockwise when looking from the top or counter-clockwise looking from below.
Your ABS and TC lights may come on.
You can than drive it as rear wheel drive only until you replace the front drive shaft.
When yours broke did it do any other damage when it was flying around?
They are known for cracking the transmission case.:mad:

Here is a big write up on using a Dodge Durango front driveshaft.
Bolts right in, has bigger u-joints and is cheaper.:thumb-up:

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42473

Steve

jackson01disc
01-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Nope there was no damage done since it actually did not come apart. It broke just on one side of the connector. It started shuttering heavy so I was able to get it to a mechanic. I got away alot better than what could have happened. A durango front drive shaft would really fit?? No problems?? And Thanks for the reply

BackInA88
01-14-2008, 11:42 AM
I only know what I have read on the dweb.
I know I will be looking into this when I replace mine.

DiscoDave
03-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Jackson if only the u-joint went bad it's an easy remedy, and done at home. U-joints can be had locally so no need to special order. If I were you though I'd do all three at the same time so you know what you're dealing with, and make sure they are all serviceable so you can maintain them (unlike the ones that came stock.)

While the Dodge Durango phenomenon has been floating around all of the of forums, nobody I've talked to and nothing I've read has anything specific on what year, make, model, engine, etc that would work. For now I'll be happy rebuilding my own.

PM me if you need some u-joint cross reference numbers.

JimKellyfan
04-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Jackson if only the u-joint went bad it's an easy remedy, and done at home. U-joints can be had locally so no need to special order. If I were you though I'd do all three at the same time so you know what you're dealing with, and make sure they are all serviceable so you can maintain them (unlike the ones that came stock.)

While the Dodge Durango phenomenon has been floating around all of the of forums, nobody I've talked to and nothing I've read has anything specific on what year, make, model, engine, etc that would work. For now I'll be happy rebuilding my own.

PM me if you need some u-joint cross reference numbers.

And will they work in a 99 DII?
Are they serviceable as well ?

kh500
04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
i did mine last year.
http://www.mysaab900.com/gallery/Discovery_2000/Prop-shaft/