PDA

View Full Version : Fan Belt: Can you find one at Autozone?

NC Rover
01-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Curious as to whether you can find a replacement fan belt for a 2.25 or 2.5L Petrol at Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc....

Or will this be one of those things I need to special order?

Thanks

scott
01-14-2008, 09:06 AM
sure ya can. ya just can't go in and ask for a fan belt for a '64 series iia though. you'll waste a couple of minutes while they insist on looking in there database for one. take in an old one or ask for a 46". that's what i was using 'til i relocated my altenator and had to fit a larger fan belt

NC Rover
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
sure ya can. ya just can't go in and ask for a fan belt for a '64 series iia though. you'll waste a couple of minutes while they insist on looking in there database for one. take in an old one or ask for a 46". that's what i was using 'til i relocated my altenator and had to fit a larger fan belt

Well I picked up a belt. Its a lot thicker than the original thin belt but close to the same length.

The previous owner rigged up some kind of alternator bracket but I need to either get a new bracket or have someone fabricate one for me. Any suggestions on that? Trying to find out what my opinons are for an alternator bracket...(pics below)

Crappy Rig Job for an alternator bracket....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Alt02.jpg

You can see the alt pulley is slightly off. Bout to attempt to adjust it....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Alt01.jpg

New Belt...not sure if it is too big to work...opinions?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Alt05.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Alt04.jpg

Les Parker
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Please explain the glass you are in need of, is it the speedometer or the multi-guage panel?

NC Rover
01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Please explain the glass you are in need of, is it the speedometer or the multi-guage panel?

The glass would cover these....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/IMG_7192.jpg

Terrys
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
The glass you need are the same for either guage. However, before you go to the trouble of fitting glass to that speedo, why not look for the correct one first.

Jeff Aronson
01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
[quote=NC Rover]Well I picked up a belt. Its a lot thicker than the original thin belt but close to the same length.

> I think you mght find that a belt so wide will come off the puley, or get cut up on the edge of the pulley over time. You might want to consider ordering the right width belt.

The previous owner rigged up some kind of alternator bracket but I need to either get a new bracket or have someone fabricate one for me. Any suggestions on that? Trying to find out what my opinons are for an alternator bracket..

>Find a Series Rover with the correct bracket for an alternator. If you're running a Lucas unit, you can either purchase the bracket or have a machine shop fabricate one for you. If you have a Delco or other unit, you'll need to measure the distances and angles required by your current jury-rigged setup, and take that information to a shop.

Jeff

sven
01-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Ive seen some alternator brackets on ebay for the Delco units. Ike also sells them: http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/products/alternatorbrackets/alternatorbrackets.html

NC Rover
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
The belt fits in the pulleys just as good as the original. Unfortunately its too long. I took the alternator out to look at the bracket underneath. Of course another home job....is there a stock bracket that can be ordered? I'll check the host site to see if they offer anythingl.

I'll have to look at the alt to see what kind it is. Here's the current bracket.....not too good. Lot of jerry rigging to get the alt lined up properly.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Bracket01.jpg

NC Rover
01-14-2008, 06:20 PM
The glass you need are the same for either guage. However, before you go to the trouble of fitting glass to that speedo, why not look for the correct one first.

What do you mean by look for the correct one first?

leafsprung
01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
The alt you have is a delco. The stock brackets fit the stock alternator . . .

gudjeon
01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Howdy NC,

It needn't be complicated. Bracketry-Shmacketry. Just grind off the front of the large ear of the alt until it lines up with the other pulleys. Then put a through bolt with a spacer and/or washers to take up the gap at the back of the main mounting ear to the block. I went all out and made my own long bolt with the different diameters and spacer. This way, it is mounted as tight as it can be to the motor. The adjusting bracket can be fabbed up from most any donor car with the Delco. I don't worry about grinding/filing down the Delco as they are dime-a-dozen. Also, you leave your original equipment in tact.

BTW - with this set up, a power steering belt for a '98 Dodge Neon fits like it should.

(Just reviewed your pics - I assumed you still had the original dynamo mountings - this may not work)

Some help I am,

Jon

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Oct07005.jpg

Ain't broke yet!

scott
01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
the bracket i made fits the dynamo bracket, extends upward about 8" then fits an ac delco 65 amp. this puts the alt up high between the windscreen wash resivoir and the motor above the exhaust manifold. the upper bracket was tricky. but having a blacksmith friend is helful. i can now change the alt in about 5 minutes and buy one that fits fom any autozone type store anywhere.

NC Rover
01-15-2008, 07:31 AM
the bracket i made fits the dynamo bracket, extends upward about 8" then fits an ac delco 65 amp. this puts the alt up high between the windscreen wash resivoir and the motor above the exhaust manifold. the upper bracket was tricky. but having a blacksmith friend is helful. i can now change the alt in about 5 minutes and buy one that fits fom any autozone type store anywhere.

Yeah it didn't take me long to get this one out of the vehicle. Pretty easy actually. I will just buy a new bracket. Hopefully the host site will have one and we'll see if that works. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check into the other stuff for future needs.

mfreeman
01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
That speedometer is not correct for any Land Rover product.

Probably started out life in a...TR6? Correct only by brand and gauge diameter.

4flattires
01-17-2008, 06:50 AM
NC Rover, the heater pic in your sig line sure looks like its itchin' for an electrical short. Those wires dont stand much of a chance against sheet metal when routed at that angle. A rubber grommet would help out.

:-)

Jeff

NC Rover
01-17-2008, 08:46 AM
NC Rover, the heater pic in your sig line sure looks like its itchin' for an electrical short. Those wires dont stand much of a chance against sheet metal when routed at that angle. A rubber grommet would help out.

:-)

Jeff

Thanks jeff! :thumb-up: Yeah another item to add to the list of things to do. I'm hoping to buy a whole new motor so once I install that, I will definitly have some type of rubber bushing to prevent the wear and tear.

As far as the gauges, I've seen other rovers with the same gauges in them. The gauges actually say "land rover" on the face plates so I don't see how that they could not be a land rover product.

Daurie
01-17-2008, 09:15 AM
The Fuel Temp guage is definately Land Rover. I've never seen a series truck with a speedo that went up to 110 mph though. That speedo is very similar to the one in my old '73 TR6. I will second that mfreeman, on the speedometer.. although I can't swear to it. :rolleyes:

NC Rover
01-17-2008, 10:40 AM
The Fuel Temp guage is definately Land Rover. I've never seen a series truck with a speedo that went up to 110 mph though. That speedo is very similar to the one in my old '73 TR6. I will second that mfreeman, on the speedometer.. although I can't swear to it. :rolleyes:

Hmm...anyone have any pics of a TR6 speedo? I keep finding so many hybrid parts in the vehicle that I can't figure out how to ask questions about certain items. Thanks for the info. The speedo doesn't work so I have no clue how fast i'm going anyway. I do keep up with traffic on the highway (65mph) no problem. The odometer works fine. Speedo needle just goes crazy though when I drive.

Any suggestions on getting a speedo needle fixed/refurbished? Complicated process or could it be something simple?

Tim Smith
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Or maybe his truck was assembled by the really *REALLY* optimistic guy in Solihull. :D

Daurie
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Hmm...anyone have any pics of a TR6 speedo? The speedo doesn't work so I have no clue how fast i'm going anyway. I do keep up with traffic on the highway (65mph) no problem. The odometer works fine. Speedo needle just goes crazy though when I drive.

Any suggestions on getting a speedo needle fixed/refurbished? Complicated process or could it be something simple?

I did a search but couldn't come up with an exact match. Does your dash have the tripometer reset knob there somewhere? I looked at your pic pretty close but never found what I suspected to be the reset.. You're best bet will probably be to get the correct speedometer. Not just for the sake of being "correct" but at this point without really knowing where the guage came from and what size wheels were on the original vehicle you may never get it to work with any reliability. Not to mention the spedometer drive off the transmission is different too in some cases. I guess since the odometer is turning you could check it to some degree on the highway with the mile makers. I don't suspect a refurbished guage would be too much more than a refurbishment. They also may take the one you have as a core. Good Luck!