PDA

View Full Version : New tire opinions

Daurie
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
What tires are you guys happy with? I'm about due for some new rubber on my s3. I'd like a tire that is has good off road capability but still somewhat civilized on the road. A good friend of mine swears by his Toyo open country MT's but they don't offer them in the size I'd like. 265/75/16 is the smallest I believe, and I'm not sure that would fit. Right now I'm running 235/85/16's and I'm pretty happy with that size.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but a search for tires and new tires etc. brings up alot of hits!

PH4
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Please see this thread http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1193&highlight=michelin or search "109 and michelin"

I prefer 7.5 x 16 but they are damn near impossible to find

thixon
01-16-2008, 04:28 PM
I really like BFG mudterrains. I've had them on numerous trucks. They're great off road, and are'nt that loud on the road (or at least you won't hear them over the rover).

I also had a set of dunlop radial rovers on my old sIII that were okay.

sayers
01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Go to the cooper tire web site, I went with the cooper ST, nice looking and pretty easy on the wallet. good luck

Daurie
01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I really like BFG mudterrains. I've had them on numerous trucks. They're great off road, and are'nt that loud on the road (or at least you won't hear them over the rover).

I also had a set of dunlop radial rovers on my old sIII that were okay.

I've been looking hard at the BFG MT's Everyone who has, them speaks highly of them. :thumb-up:

Thanks for the responses.

Jim-ME
01-17-2008, 05:42 AM
Personally I prefer BFG ATs to MTs because the ATs are quieter and will last longer and IMHO MTs aren't worth a darn on ice or packed snow. But I doubt that you see much ice and snow. I've run ATs for many years on everything from full size pickups, to an S-10, to my son's Jeep and I feel they deserve their reputation. In fact I have never gotten less than 60K on a set of ATs. I'm currently running ATs on the front and MTs on the back of my Rover and can't wait until funds and other priorities permit getting rid of the MTs. Plus I love the 33X9.50X15 size tire. To me the AT in that size is a perfect Rover tire.
Jim

tmckeon88
01-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I'd like to echo that sentiment about BFG ATs. I ran a set of those (235/85 R16s) on my Series IIA 88 all the way from Alaska to Tierra del Feugo and never had so much as a slow leak in them. My axles broke before the tires gave out. Awesome tires- good in the snow, long lasting. I am going to get back on a set of those as soon as funds allow.

Tom

tmckeon88
01-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Hey Daurie, how do you like that Turner engine?

Tom

Daurie
01-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Daurie, how do you like that Turner engine?

Tom

It seems to be a good engine. When I got the truck it had the engine which had been insalled new in 2006. It has around 19000 miles on it. It has 8:1 head running Weber carb and NRP exhaust.

To be totally honest this is my first Rover and have nothing to really compare it to. It runs pretty smooth and has decent power. It is sensitive to ignition timing adjustments and much past 3 deg advanced I will get little random pops out of the exhaust after plugging the vac. advance back in. They get more frequent as the timing is advanced. I believe that issue in itself is cause for another thread altogether though.

thixon
01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Personally I prefer BFG ATs to MTs because the ATs are quieter and will last longer and IMHO MTs aren't worth a darn on ice or packed snow. But I doubt that you see much ice and snow. I've run ATs for many years on everything from full size pickups, to an S-10, to my son's Jeep and I feel they deserve their reputation. In fact I have never gotten less than 60K on a set of ATs. I'm currently running ATs on the front and MTs on the back of my Rover and can't wait until funds and other priorities permit getting rid of the MTs. Plus I love the 33X9.50X15 size tire. To me the AT in that size is a perfect Rover tire.
Jim

The AT's won't last any longer than the MT's. I've driven multiple sets of both bald on trucks that I drove on and off road (mostly on). I typically get around 50 to 60 k out of either. I've gotten as low as 35k on a set of AT's, but they were on a jeep I built with a 383 stroker that would spin the tires on pavement easily (so I did, alot, like an idiot). The MT's are louder than the AT's (but not nearly as loud as other mud tires), but to hear them over your rover you'd have to have dog ears so it doesnt matter anyway. As for the performace on ice and snow, I can't give any advice. I live in Georgia. I can tell you that on dry trails, I notice no difference. In the rain on pavement, the AT's don't break loose as easily at the MT's, but again you're in a rover, and presumably not doing 90 down the intersate. In mud, the MT's take the prize. Either way, I think you'll be happy. Both are extremely punture resistant, and will last. I will say, that I like the look of the MT's on rover better, but that's just me. Decide which is best for your application and write the check!

TeriAnn
01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Personally I prefer BFG ATs to MTs because the ATs are quieter and will last longer and IMHO MTs aren't worth a darn on ice or packed snow.

I *think* the BFG AT & MT use the same casing and possibly the same compound. Not positive but worth checking into if you are trying to decide between the two. I get about 55K - 60K miles out of a set of BFG M/T. I'm currently on my fourth set.

Way back when I tried a set of A/T tyres but sold them with less than 10K miles on them. I found that they didn't like wet ground anymore than street tyres do and I didn't like the idea of getting stuck when mud tyres would let me keep going. Mud gets my shoes icky.

For the kinds of driving I do, the BFG M/T is the best all around tyre that I've tried. Works OK in mud (clogs in clay) works well in the rocks including slick rock. Works well in most any kind of dirt and in sand. They are far from the best ice tyre and I don't have a lot of deep snow experience with them so am not qualified to venture an opinion about snow handling.

I've run two sizes:
265/75R16 (31.9" dia, stock D90 size & very close to stock 109 tyre dia.)
255/85R16 (33.3" dia, my current tyres)

I'm happy with them.

Oh, and if it makes a difference to anyone my BFG Mud Terrains are labeled "Made in USA"

thixon
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM
TeriAnn,

You're right on target about them clogging in clay (remember I'm from GA, so lots of clay experience)! However, I hav'nt seen or heard of anything that doesnt!

Cheers,

Tim Smith
01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
... and IMHO MTs aren't worth a darn on ice or packed snow...

Let me second Jim's opinion about the MT's being bad in the snow. However they are also very very good in the mud. So it's up to you really.

Personally, once my MT's are done and the old AT's waiting to be mounted are gone, I'm going to go for a milder off road tire. Perhaps something that verges on an all season tire.

Then, when I go off road to the point that I need better traction (which in all honesty is about 1% of the time), I'll bring a set of old farmers chains. Most of the time I'm either on the road or doing something mild that can probably be done with highway tires on. No need to listen to the tires all the time.

By the way, you can hear the tires but you don't normally make the distinction of them and the rest of the rover noise. If you go topless for a while, you will see what I mean.

JimCT
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Try Interco Truxus mud tires, running 255/85-16's on the ambulance and 235/86-16's on the range rover. Fairly quiet and great in snow and iec, siped tread blocks, and very good in mud too. Cheap also doesn't hurt.

bige
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I have been running truxus 235/85/16 on my 109. Very happy with them on everything from Southern California freeways to loose dirt and rock and snow here at the cottage in Canada.

Daurie
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Two for truxus mt's .. hm... I took a look at them and they definately look like serious tires. :thumb-up:

adkrover
01-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Anyone have experience with Firestone Destination M/T's?

redmondrover
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
In case you are interested, I have a set of 5 Deestone D503 "Land Rover/Military Truck" tires that I will be posting for sale soon. They are 7.50 x 16 and were used on a 109. Here is a link to the manufacturer's site:
http://www.deestone.com/products/index.html
They are in good shape and have a lot of tread left. I can send pictures if you are interested.

Daurie
02-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm interested. PM sent.

Eric W S
02-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Get a set of Michelin XPS Tractions - they have a 750x16 size.

Open Country MT work on a series. Buddy's friend has them on his. I think he swapped to a wider rim though.

750 seem rare because they are usually listed in the commercial or truck section by most manufacturers.

Don't forget that if you get a stout enough tire you can augment traction in mud with snow chains. Bill Burke makes this point in one of his videos. And it works well.

BFG MT suck in snow.

Daurie
02-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm running XPS Tractions on my F350 235/85/16s . They have lasted a long time and I imagine they would last darn near forever on a series truck. The only thing thats detering me from them on my series is I don't know how the all steel casing will like being aired down and I want something with a little more sidewall grip. The Open country M/T is a pretty agressive tire. Right now I'm awaiting word on some Michelin 4X4 O/R 7.50 x 16 lt from the UK. Might have a guy that can get me a set but it might cost a fortune.

Eric W S
02-02-2008, 11:09 AM
XPS tractions air down well. Ho has a set on his G4. Check out expeditionexchange.com for photos.

The 4x4 should be available in the states. British Northwest threw a set on a truck they were doing. So if Charles can get them I bet with some research anyone could. Try a Michelin truck tire retailer. I got a quote for them awhile back. Not too expensive, but hard to get.

I was considering the avon tractions as well. Those cost a fortune as well. See the 109 and tires thread. They look great on the series and can be seen in many old photos. Look to have good sidewall traction as well.

EwS

CliftonRover
02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I recommend the BFg all terrain if you do a lot of highway driving, but otherwise I would go with the interco truxis Mt's. I have three sets of AT's on series trucks right now, 265/75, 235/85, and 31x10.5. The truxis are awesome off road and especially aired down. I have them on a RRC lifted five inches in a 255/85 size.