PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Mess Inside Front Brakes

64 Wagon
01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Hello, I have been having some trouble braking lately, especialy when it is wet out. Took apart the front brake drums, and I found two leaking cylinders on the drivers side and about 16 oz of grease on the Passanger side. Questions: Shoud I replace all four brake wheel cylinders or just the busted ones? The grease i am guessing is some king of seal, Is it the bearing? any advice on where to find a how to? what will I replace? any special tools? Thanks in advance. Stalin

singingcamel
01-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Very typical of a inner seal and race issue.I would recommend the seal and race replacement, you will have to remove the hub assymbly to get at the race , referr to your manual which i assume you have one, .If you have problems with the race give me a call...marc
www.singingcamel.com (http://www.singingcamel.com)

Jeff Aronson
01-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm sure Marc is right; the "grease" is probably hypoid that's coagulating inside your drums. I found the same concoction in my rear brakes one time. Replacing the seal and race solved the problem. You'll need to replace the shoes, also, as they'll be saturated with oil.

If your wheel cylinders have not been replaced in a long time, then the failure of two probably means others are not far behind. Still, pull a wheel and drum and look over the end caps. If they're nice and flexible, with no seepage, then you know that you'll be alright for a while. It would be more fun to replace them in nicer weather.

Jeff