PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story / item on eBay.

Daurie
01-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone had any dealings with uklandrovers on eBay? Obviously this guys not too happy. I think another series truck near me came from this individual.. I'll have to ask about. Might want to be careful when dealing with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Lightweight-Land-Rover-Picture_W0QQitemZ330204228372QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem330204228372

sven
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
That sucks. Ive seen a bunch of those uklandrovers on ebay, and I have to say they all looked botched together. Too bad this guy didnt buy a rover from a fellow enthusiast in the US...he would have been better off.

friar mike
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Thats where my 109 came from and it is a big time rip off place. I can't even say (it won't come throught here) how bad. anybody going to them WILL get a screwing thay will not forget.:mad:

msggunny
01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
has anyone beat the guy up with bad feedback?

He had a 97.3% pos feed back.

I hope some one has contacted Paypal or Ebay to report it too.

friar mike
01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
has anyone beat the guy up with bad feedback?

He had a 97.3% pos feed back.

I hope some one has contacted Paypal or Ebay to report it too.
I would but Iam second party to this one. One of my customers got this rover over the internet and I see this guys website dosn't work anymore. I saved this 109 from the crusher becouse that were my customer was taking it.

Terrys
01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
He's the UK's answer to Creed Evans, started out with good intentions, then got too full of himself but couldn't stop the sales pitch.

greenmeanie
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I think I may know someone here as well who has run into this gentleman. If I may say it takes a very brave man to buy a vehicle over e-bay from another continent. I just ain't that rich.

The joy of being a Brit is that I was able to combine a trip home to visit my parents with a visit to the dealer to inspect my 101 before handing over the money. I even have a couple of brothers to sic on him if it had been needed. Even although things didn't go entirely smoothly I did end up with a good truck.

Cheers
Gregor

rovertek
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Anyone had any dealings with uklandrovers on eBay? Obviously this guys not too happy. I think another series truck near me came from this individual.. I'll have to ask about. Might want to be careful when dealing with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Lightweight-Land-Rover-Picture_W0QQitemZ330204228372QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem330204228372
first off the link provided is an auction for a picture? second i dont see anywhere how much the person actually paid for the LR, ebay like any auction it is your responsibility to thoroughly inspect items as they are sold "as is" i agree that there is a lot of scammers in the world and if somthing seems too good to be true "it most likely is" and is better too pass on a deal which you are unsure or have a reliable person inspect it for you.....

Daurie
01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
first off the link provided is an auction for a picture? second i dont see anywhere how much the person actually paid for the LR, ebay like any auction it is your responsibility to thoroughly inspect items as they are sold "as is" i agree that there is a lot of scammers in the world and if somthing seems too good to be true "it most likely is" and is better too pass on a deal which you are unsure or have a reliable person inspect it for you.....

All good advice on the inspection issues :thumb-up: . Just an interesting find, and it seems theres no harm in warning fellow Rover enthusiasts to a possible scam. Lord knows they are out there. I believe the point of the auction was just to get the "word out" and not actually get paid for a picture of the truck in question, as should be obvious to us all. :rolleyes:

I didn't see how much he paid either and couldn't find where the seller had a recent auction that was won by the complaintant. May have gone to him direct.

I for one wouldn't buy a Rover from overseas off eBay. However, I've seen good talkers who could proably sell ice to an Eskimo! It definately pays to be well informed and on top of your game when buying one of these things.

Like I said it was just and interesting find and I don't know nor am I taking sides with eiter party. CHEERS

friar mike
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
As for me I wouldn't buy a car off the net with out see it in person but this one kind of ended up here and I got it cheep ( not riping off anybody it was what my customer wanted to do. By the way he paid with shipping 13000.00 usd for it. which is insane but as for me Iam into it for 1200.00 and my customer knows it. most of you have seen it but for those who haven't.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/friarmike/rover/CIMG0955.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/friarmike/rover/CIMG0956.jpg

green 'n stinky
01-19-2008, 07:26 AM
I bought my land rover from uklandrovers on ebay last summer (crazy impulse buy) and I did not have such a bad experience. I'm a newbie to land rovers (and this forum), so it may just be that I don't know any better but overall I am not disappointed with it. I think one's expectations are key; I assumed that the vehicle was going to be rough, notwithstanding some of the hyperbole in the description. Experience on ebay has taught me that if the seller says the item is a "9 out of 10," it's probably really a 7 out of 10 at best. So far, however, the rover seems to be fundamentally sound and I've had fun fixing those parts that need fixing.

That said, I probably would not do it again. As others have pointed out, by the time I paid for shipping, duties, etc., I probably paid too much. Plus, buying a car on ebay sight unseen is just too risky. I got lucky, I suppose.

DRTPOOR
01-24-2008, 11:06 PM
With all that said it needs to be understood that these are almost 40 year old vehicles. It is inevitable that things are going to go wrong. I work for Land Rover here in the states and know myself owning a few of the Series rovers can not always be a walk in the park. Who's to say that you are not going to get riped off locally? Before I started working for Land Rover I bought some pretty nice looking rovers in my life that turned out to be pretty crude. I am not trying to stand up to this guy or anyone for that matter but we need to realize again these are very old vehicles and are always going to need some level of maintaining. The best thing one can do is to get as many pictures of every component on the truck and ask tons of questions. If you cant call the seller on the phone and speak with them I wouldnt buy it. Some of them are nightmares that never even make it out of the garage. Others may be needles in haystacks that we stumble upon that barely need a carb tune-up. Either case its a Land Rover and people who buy these should know by now that they require time, patience and sometimes a little more money than one would normally spend on a 4x4 that looks like a toaster with wheels. I know I love them and will always. Just be aware of what you are spending your money on. If this guy is misrepresenting these products believe me it will come around and bite him in the ass. http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/images/icons/icon16.gif

thixon
01-25-2008, 07:56 AM
DRTPOOR,

Whats your point? The guy's a predator (UKlandrovers). He's intentionally misrepresenting the condition of vehicles, offering them at grossly inflated prices, and knowingly targeting uneducated consumers. Bad business.

Eric W S
01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
It's kinda funny how your espousing the age and expense of a series rover when your screen name appears to be Dirt Poor. . .

Daurie
01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I never guessed my post would stir so much controversy. LOL.. After reading all the posts I have to come to the conclusion that UKLandrovers is a scam to some degree. Too many people with bad experiences and stories. I was shocked to see how positive his feedback is. Definately person I wont do business with. Sounds like he misrepresents his vehicles for sure. I bet hes very proficent with Photoshop!

S11A
01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I think some of the eBay Land-Rover listings or purchases are fishy in another sense.

For example, I saw a lot of fuss made on another BBS about one that sold for around $68K. But if you read the text in the body of the auction, it listed the final amount of the sale. To the PENNY!

It had multiple bidders, and as far as I know eBay does not allow the person selling to change the auction after the first person bids on it. It is locked to prevent an unscrupulous person from changing the description from "mint" to "piece of junk" once the bidding starts or ends.

I have also seen the same truck sell more than 2 or 3 times, and the "buyer" leave glowing feedback each time.

I wonder if some people are having their friends bid and win to get good feedback and to pump up their ratings.

S11A
01-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Aha, here we go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4648668830&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ff rom%3DR40%26satitle%3D4648668830%26fvi%3D1#ebaypho tohosting

The final sales amount, $69,800, is part of the description of the item (not changeable after the auction starts). After 10 bids, the auction was bid up to... $69,800.

The other suspicious thing about the auction is that the bidders' identifies are hidden. That is allowed by eBay, but adds to the "mystery".

greenmeanie
01-25-2008, 04:42 PM
If you want to see someone being VERY liberal with the truth then this is for you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-90-1983-defender-90-military-wolf-300-tdi-soft-top_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31849QQihZ007QQitem Z170188515801QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It may be a nice truck, it may indeed even be a 1983 although I am fairly sure the MOD didn't buy any the first year, but it is NO WOLF. At best it has some of the Wolf goodies dressing up a 2.5NA 90.

I think you are going to see a lot of '1983 honest guv!' 90's and 110's popping up on the ebay from sources in the UK. Now the 25 year rule is rolling round owners in the UK are very well aware of the drooling and potential demand in the US for early coilers that are worth very little in the home country. I can only warn people to only buy from a reputable dealer in the UK at this time.

Recently there was even a true 1983 spec Defender registered in the US on ebay. Unfortunately it had been imported as a SIII 109 some time ago which was going to result in a lot of headaches for someone if they bought it.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
That is Kellog isn't it? Olympia WA?

Terrys
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I remember seeing that listing last summer, and rolling my eyes. I have rebuilt a few series trucks, and restored a few also. I find it incomprehensable that someone could actually spend that much money. I suppose if they were paying some absurd shop rate, and huge markups were being tacked onto parts, it would be possible to grow the costs imensely, but, as far fetched as that is, I think it's equally rediculous that someone would actually pay that much. I did a prei-inspection on a beautifully restored (not just rebuilt) 109 a little more than a year ago, and my friend bought it upon my inspection. He paid under $20K. While that may be the exception and not the rule, it wasn't grossly underpriced either.

greenmeanie
01-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Speaking of buying 109's. I got the the nod from my wife - my negotiation skills are getting better. Somehow I thought 'It's that or a Stolly!' would get me there.

The truck is, however, a SII and not a IIA. Does anyone have any ideas about differences between the two? Engine differences don't matter as it has had a Ford conversion and I suppose it will have an early suffix gearbox (Maybe not. With that kind of power it might have had a replacement.) The axles don't even fuss me as I am hopefully gong sals. Basically is there any reason not to use a SII as a base vehicle?

Cheers
Gregor

rovertek
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Aha, here we go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4648668830&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ff rom%3DR40%26satitle%3D4648668830%26fvi%3D1#ebaypho tohosting

The final sales amount, $69,800, is part of the description of the item (not changeable after the auction starts). After 10 bids, the auction was bid up to... $69,800.

The other suspicious thing about the auction is that the bidders' identifies are hidden. That is allowed by eBay, but adds to the "mystery".
ive been doing ebay for some years and ive found that 2 out of 3 ebayers are stand up people, but you do see that obviously some people bid on thier own merchandice or have friends or relitives do so to drive up the price,those items you will see up for sale again and again ,keep in mind any one can sell anything for any price this is america, it is up to the buyer to inspect and bid cautiously,and if you pay with paypal you may dispute items not as depicted and you most likely will get your money back, thats why if im interested in an item i dont feed the frensy but wait until the last few seconds and "snipe" the item and pay using paypal, and i wont do buisiness with anyone who has less than100 transactions or 99.5% as a rule of thumb (unless they have over 1000 transactions) because alot of people just dont or wont leave bad feedback due to the other person may leave you bad feed back, i just dont care if its warrented i will leave bad feedback and im at 100%......

yorker
01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Gregor-

We probably ought to make a new thread but I can't see any readon not to use a series II. It may have the original and weaker tranny and transfer case but I think I'd end up putting in a NP435 anyway. Nothing wrong with a 289, but hooked to a np435 you would have a better tranny.

DRTPOOR
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
It's kinda funny how your espousing the age and expense of a series rover when your screen name appears to be Dirt Poor. . .

My License plates used to say DRTPOOR on my series. It was ment to be a joke. Guess your sense of humor is non existant? Sorry.

Eric W S
01-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Another good one! No I'd say I have a better sense, albeit drier, of humor than you. Your screen name and your post were ironically funny the first time. Talking about how expensive these trucks were with Dirt Poor as your identity...If you were poor how would you know!

S11A
01-26-2008, 03:51 PM
That is Kellog isn't it? Olympia WA?

Looks like it from the text of the auction.

Check out this quote from their web site:

"Because of the entirely exceptional nature and cachet of this and other examples of British Northwest's restoration work, the price is not advertised and will be divulged only after prospective owners have become knowledgeable to the owner, who insists that this machine go only to a fully qualified buyer. "

Anyone want to bet if the one of the buyer's qualifications includes a fully qualified checking account? :D

Their "forum" looks more like a single article advertising their skills, but makes entertaining reading:

http://www.land-roverco.com/forum.htm

S11A
01-26-2008, 04:06 PM
FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt).

Those guys even posted the "article" from their "forum" on eBay in Korea!

http://ebay.auction.co.kr/detail.html?itemNo=230207721937&FeedBackPercent=97.6

Not to pick on them too much, but these sorts of things seem at least a bit odd...

Saxondog
01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Yes I got mine from UKLandrovers. Only paid for and expected 30 year unrestored truck. Condition was as I expected, it runs and drives,tranny a bit noisy but I figured I would sh--can the power train anyway. The Right Hand drive is way cool. Looks like it had a fairy overdrive on it at one time. As stated by others, I was more worried about actually getting it than the condition.

S11A
01-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Well at least this guy is sure of what he has: :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=280196802437

and if not, he has covered most of the bases... :D

jp-
01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
...If you were poor how would you know!

Credit, baby.

greenmeanie
01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Well at least this guy is sure of what he has: :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=280196802437

and if not, he has covered most of the bases... :D

So which bit of the 109 was left from the 'upgrade' - the keyring?

At one time I was keen on the idea of a 110 import this year. It's stuff like this that makes me very wary of them. Our local DMV inspectors seem very up on what a 110 is. Unfortunately they seem rather dislexic as they got very upset about my 101 until I pointed out the difference and produced all the paperwork.

Cheers
Gregor

O'Brien
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
fyi just for those interested, i noticed that uklandrovers (ebay name) is now defenderusa. in no way im i stating an opinion
by posting this, just wanted everyone to have the information.

i wasn't aware you could change your seller name and retain your account history and feedback...

gambrinus
03-08-2008, 08:41 AM
IF you're looking for a U.K. source for old series vehicles in either "unrestored" or "serviced" condition, I know a few people who have been VERY happy and feel that they were treated more than fairly by Pete Blanchard's place. He advertises in most of the rover mags so he should be easy to find. One buddy of mine got an ex-MOD 109 from him and it was VERY nice for the price that he paid.

YMMV and all that other stuff...

RW