PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication...

Roverdawg76
01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey all... kind of a dumb question here. But I'm wanting to grease up all the spots that need to be lubricated on my Series III 109 Safari Wagon... can some one point me to a place where I can see how and where are all the spots that need to be lubricated? Also, any particular lubricant and guns that are best/easiest to use?

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Enigma
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
4 universal joints, 2 slip joints(splines) on the propeller shafts and depending on model or epair there could be 6 zerks on the track rod ends. I have a 60 that doesn't have these but my 61 does.

I use an air compressor actuated grease gun with a swivel end and a flex hose. The reason for this is that I can exert pressure on the nipple end with one hand and actuate the gun with the other. The lever actuated guns require two hands to actuate unless you get a positive connection at the zerk. I found these frustrating. They work well with solid pipe connections but I found the flex connectors more useful.

Grease - I pick the most expensive grease cartridge as the difference in price is really not that much.

Cheers I hope this helps.

Tim Smith
01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Go ahead and get yourself a box of Zerk's fittings so you can freely replace them as you move along your truck. All too commonly they are jammed up and a pain to get the grease to go in.

That might also save you the need for the air powered grease gun, but that's up to you.

Cheers,
Tim

Jeff Aronson
01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
The location of fittings is in the Haynes Manual, but essentially, they're as outlined by the previous postings, the u-joints and propshafts. Most of the steering and tie rods fittings are "lifetime" and without grease fittings. I try and use a hand gun to better control the pressure and avoid forcing out seals. If I wedge the gun against the ground or my body, I can have one hand free to hold onto the grease fitting.

Jeff

Roverdawg76
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give it a whirl!!