PDA

View Full Version : 15s or 16s flipped inside out

Tim Smith
01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Okay I just saw this thread and had no idea flipping the wheels can be done...
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2907

So my question is, do you have to re-weld the center (mounting part) of the wheel inside out, or can you just flip the wheel around without the welding part?

If you have to weld, how hard is it to get the center plates exactly flat again?

Oh and can this be done with 16 inchers as well as the 15s?

Cheers,
Tim

leafsprung
01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
You really have to cut the centers out and reweld the wheel. The lug holes are not taped from both sides and the center isnt flat on the outside like it is on the inside. Ive seen people running them simply flipped, but I wouldnt personally. When you cut the centers, out, flip and reweld them, it is time consuming to get them true, but not terribly difficult. Early 16s are harder as they are riveted. You can cut the centers out of them, turn them down slightly and weld them into a conventional american hoop in your choice of width (which are generally stronger anyway). Its a lot of work to do a full set of them, but rover didnt offer too many nice rims. The stock rims are designed for tires that are no longer made for the most part, plus the stability and increased turning radius are awfully nice.