PDA

View Full Version : when to rebuild gearbox?

adkrover
01-17-2008, 07:02 PM
I have a 109" 1965 IIa with a rebuilt engine and used Series III gearbox, transfer case and overdrive. The overdrive is just too loud to be usefull so I plan to swap it out for a new Roverdrive. The old gearbox and transfer case have a few leaks but overall appear to be in working order however loose the shifter is and the transfer case's tendency to slip into 4 wheel drive. I'm wondering when do you know it's time to rebuild those units. Obviously if the truck won't move and there's a pool of gear lube on the ground that's a real sign but so far that hasn't happened. I am prepping this truck for remote adventures so I would like to know that is isn't going to leave me walking. What are the signs? Thanks

leafsprung
01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
noise/heat/wont go into/slips out of gear. Your issues can probably be fixed by resealing, and adusting the 4wd mechanism. Some shifters have a smaller ball on the end and used a nylon spacer, if this is missing it will feel very loose. Also check the set screw on the RH side of the AL section of the shift tower. Want to sell your loud fairey?