PDA

View Full Version : Going to take a look!

ajones
01-17-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837

I am going to ride over and take a look. Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks.

GrFa
01-18-2008, 12:51 AM
From the looks of the passenger front door top and the bonnet bracing in the picture of the engine, I would say it has some serious rust issues. Even if you are already planning on a new chassis, all those little parts (like doors haha) can add up and be quite costly.

It looks like it will need a complete frame up using a lot of new steel parts from the few pictures. I think for the time being it would make a nice running and driving beater, once those trailer tires are replaced with real tires.

Alaska Mike
01-18-2008, 02:07 AM
I had an old Jeep when I lived in Panama City, Florida. When I arrived it was a desert-only rig with minimal rust. Within two years it had rust in just about every nook and cranny. Just painful to watch, and just about impossible to stop once it started. Blind panels were the worst, and the Jeep has far fewer than a Series Rover.

I would be extremely critical of the chassis, bulkhead, and door frames. Salt air is just evil. Surf the web and get an idea of replacement costs before you go. It looks like a really cool rig for the right owner (pig-headed/rich or blissfully ignorant/poor). Just make sure that you want to be that owner before you spend the money. Spending a few grand more on a better specimen might be the cheaper path.

I don't mean to offend the owner. It's certainly worth a look for the short ride down from AL, and you might find it's what you're looking for.