PDA

View Full Version : Military Fuel Valve Location?

S11A
01-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Hola, Does anyone have a picture or description of where this sort of valve would typically be mounted: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/archive/specs/LR04/LR04_pages13_17/page15.htm Would it make sense to mount it on the bulkhead, under the hand throttle? Or maybe on the seat box on the passenger side, close in to the tunnel cover? Thanks!

S11A
01-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Also, does this kit (as sold by our hosts) address the issue of the fuel return line? Does the valve deal with return lines so the fuel is sent back to the tank from which it came? Or does it only return to a single tank (one that is hard-wired, as it were)?

PH4
01-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I have one original to my right hand 1962 109. It is on the bulkhead below the shelf. It is on left side between toe box and center of bulk head.

Terrys
01-20-2008, 04:17 PM
The valve shown is for Petrol engines, and does not have any plumbing for return lines, such as a diesel would require. It incorporates two toggle switches for seleting the fuel sender from the appropriate tank.
On a MOD 109, it is located on the lower bulkhead, right side,Immediately behind the engine's fuel pump.

leafsprung
01-20-2008, 05:29 PM
they were mounted in different places on different trucks. They were a dealer option so they were mounted in various places on the seatbox and firewall.

Moose
01-20-2008, 07:10 PM
The Ex-Mod 109's and Ltwt's I've seen with dual tanks have the switch over valves mounted on the seatbox, right hand side next to the tunnel cover. That is where I mounted mine. For the return line, you would need two valves to dump into the tank in use.

Brett

yorker
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
I think on army IIa's it is on the bulkhead, on Series IIIs they seem to be on the seatbox.

leafsprung
01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Ive had SIIAs and SIIIs with them in both locations.

scott
01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
i installed mine without asking where. i mounted it on the blank that covers the right side hand brake openning. did this so as not to make any new holes in the seat box or bulkhead.

S11A
01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. Mine has two instruction plates on the bulkhead below the dash, on the right hand side. I think I will mount the valve next to these, on the left.

S11A
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
So for a diesel, I can think of a few options for the fuel return line:

1. Plumb the return line to a single tank, the one that would normally be used first

2. Plumb the return line so it has a T or Y in it so the fuel is returned to both tanks, somewhat evenly

3. Add an additional valve so that the fuel is returned to the same tank from which it was drawn

I would think option 3 would probably be ideal, if a person wanted two of those valves on the bulkhead or seat box. You might even be able to gang them together...

I would think option 1 would be the next best and still perfectly fine. It would have the benefit of being simple to plumb and less parts to go wrong. However, it would have the drawback that after emptying the first tank and switching to the second, you would have all of the fuel returned to the first and therefore might need to switch back to that tank again if you were running on fumes. That might not be such a big deal to simply turn the valve back to the first tank.

I am not sure option 2 is viable, since the T'ed return line might possibly overflow the tank that has not been drained yet. This situation would depend on the amount of fuel that is returned to the tanks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

S11A
01-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Bump. Figured I would give it one last shot to see if anyone had any thoughts on one of these options for the fuel return line being any better or worse. I am leaning toward number 1.

I am also considering adding two standalone fuel gauges instead of the single stock one, even though the Rovers North kit switches the gauge in addition to the supply.

In that case, I may replace the stock gauge (the entire second large one besides the speedometer) with an appropriately sized Smiths tach, since I am probably going to get a different ammeter with more capacity too. I will open up a separate thread if I end up doing that.