PDA

View Full Version : IIA Wipers

PH4
01-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Trying to remove my independent wipers from my IIA because the local paint shop got a little too happy with the sprayer and I want to clean off. How do I get off the wiper arms. I know I am supposed to "tap" them off but started to do this and 1) became concerned that was going to damage shaft in motor and 2) saw no movement whatsoever. There has to be a trick to it. Any help appreciated.

leafsprung
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
If they have compression nuts, loosen them. If they are the splined hub with the set screw, loosen the set screw.

PH4
01-20-2008, 08:06 PM
No compression nuts, have those on my 72. Do not see any set screws.

leafsprung
01-20-2008, 11:49 PM
They have to be attached somehow. How about a picture.

Jeff Aronson
01-21-2008, 06:34 AM
If you have set screws, they're often hidden on the bottom side of the wiper arm. It's a tiny set screw so look carefully,

You might also have a compression fit wiper arm with a spring that compresses the arm on the splined nub that sticks through the windshield frame. Use a tiny screwdriver to press back the compressed piece inside the base of the wiper arm.

They do come off and the splined shaft is quite strong. I've had to remove some very stubborn ones over the years.

The next issue is removing the wiper motor. Once I had to drift out a very stubborn motor; fortunately, I didn't break the windshield.

Jeff

S11A
01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
This doesn't address how to get them off, but it does go into detail on how to rebuild the motors (I came across it just a couple of days ago while looking for something else):

http://vivalaant.wordpress.com/2007/01/24/series-rover-lucas-wiper-motor-refurbishment/