PDA

View Full Version : Identify that noise

NC Rover
01-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Not sure that anyone will be able to help out since my tranny is out of a defender. Regardless, there is a ringing sound, which almost sounds like a bag of steel washers jingling around when I am driving. It sounds like its coming from right below the shifter when driving in the vehicle.

Would this be a bad throwout bearing or something to do with the tranny? There is no slipping clutch or grinding of gears. Everything shifts and drives smoothy...just this ringing sound that is off and on when driving..especially when shifting through 4th. Push in the clutch and the sound usually goes away.

Any ideas?

Jim-ME
01-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Put the transfer in neutral and run through the gears like you are driving it. If the noise is gone it isn't your transmission.
Jim

Jeff Aronson
01-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Are you certain that it coming from inside the transmission? If you are moving down the road when it is making the noise, shift the car into neutral and coast down the road. Does it affect the sound in any way? Then find a hill you can drive down with the car making the noise and shut off the motor - does anything change?

A throwout bearing generally makes noise only when you engage the clutch, usually when you push in on the clutch.

Also "beneath the shifter" could be rattling cables or linkages. From underneath the car, can you move anything that runs around the transmission and transfer case? Does your exhaust system touch anything, or move against anything, or it is rigid?

Is either driveshaft loose, or is there a weak u-joint on either shaft? That would can cause a noise, too, although usually not a ringing sound.

Are you sure you have lubricant in the transmission? Is it nice and full?

If you can isolate the condition, then you can really isolate the noise. I can't imagine something completely loose inside a fully functioning transmission. A broken synchro ring or thrust washter has an impact on the operation of the tranny - that's what I learned when I had to rebuild my Series transmission.

Jeff

ctrover
01-21-2008, 07:07 AM
it might be the clutch release fork.My rover makes the same noise

Les Parker
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Is one of the cat. convertor sheilds loose?
Check when the engine is cold, by grabbing hold of the sheild and see if it moves at all.

NC Rover
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Are you certain that it coming from inside the transmission? If you are moving down the road when it is making the noise, shift the car into neutral and coast down the road. Does it affect the sound in any way? Then find a hill you can drive down with the car making the noise and shut off the motor - does anything change?

A throwout bearing generally makes noise only when you engage the clutch, usually when you push in on the clutch.

Also "beneath the shifter" could be rattling cables or linkages. From underneath the car, can you move anything that runs around the transmission and transfer case? Does your exhaust system touch anything, or move against anything, or it is rigid?

Is either driveshaft loose, or is there a weak u-joint on either shaft? That would can cause a noise, too, although usually not a ringing sound.

Are you sure you have lubricant in the transmission? Is it nice and full?

If you can isolate the condition, then you can really isolate the noise. I can't imagine something completely loose inside a fully functioning transmission. A broken synchro ring or thrust washter has an impact on the operation of the tranny - that's what I learned when I had to rebuild my Series transmission.

Jeff

There is an access panel under the middle passenger seat. I'm going to open it up and try to pinpoint the sound. It only occurs when driving and usually occurs when in gear.

All fluids are full. Nothing is loose under the vehicle. Nothing rattling against something else. Whole exhaust, mufflers, etc. are fin. It may be the cables or linkages. I will try to pinpoint tomorrow once I take that floor access panel out.

NC Rover
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
So I believe I found the culprit of the ringing sound. Upon closer inspection, there is a metal ring...kind of like a washer cover that is loose. See pictures below....its basically loose and spins with the drive shaft. What can I do to tighten this down?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/Rattle03.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/Rattle04.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/Rattle01.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/Rattle02.jpg

sven
01-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Thats the mudsheild which presses onto the output flange. You have to remove the driveshaft, remove the flange and then inspect. You might need a need flange or not...its hard to tell until you remove it.

jp-
01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
That's not supposed to spin. It may have wallowed out the aluminum on the transmission. You might have to get some strong adhesive and glue it back in.

NC Rover
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
That's not supposed to spin. It may have wallowed out the aluminum on the transmission. You might have to get some strong adhesive and glue it back in.

thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have to replace some oil seals regardless. It just causes a very loud irritation sound that is just like a couple of washers jingling together. Just glad its not in the tranny. :thumb-up:

sven
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Here a pic of what Im talking about. The mudsheild is part of the flange on the LT230 transfer case.

http://discoweb.org/tcasebearing/106-0626_IMG.jpg

Les Parker
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Hmm, loks like that needs some polishing, or 10 thou. maching off the end to give the seal a new surace to run on... or a new flange kit # STC3432, which includes a new flange, seal and oil thrower for $ 74.55 and is in stock

NC Rover
01-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Hmm, loks like that needs some polishing, or 10 thou. maching off the end to give the seal a new surace to run on... or a new flange kit # STC3432, which includes a new flange, seal and oil thrower for $ 74.55 and is in stock

I may have to go the later route. Not sure how but it came loose. So I'm to understand that it is actually part of the flange (as in welded to it?) and it seperated somehow?

To me these look different....maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/W8kbrder/Land%20Rover/FlangeComparison.jpg