PDA

View Full Version : Got wiring harness now what is the 1st step

WILLYSMB
01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
After my initial wiring problem,I decided too get a new wiring harness. I went with British and bought all three harnesses needed for my 72 LR Series III.:thumb-up: Now what is the best plan of attack? Front to back or back to front. Any tips would be helpful. . . thanks Marshall

ps. any tips on getting the new harness into the chassis hollow and to the front of the truck? and is it difficult getting the dash and under panel off when wiring the dash. I have rewired a WWII Willys Jeep but it was alot less complex then this set-up.:confused: help guys

scott
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
...any tips on getting the new harness into the chassis hollow and to the front of the truck? ...

befor pulling out the old attach a line to the end and pull it through as you pull out the old, attach the new and pull it back with the line

thixon
01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Threading through the frame isn't tough. If you've already pulled out the old, then do the following. Take a roll of wire laying around (stiff like welding wire or bailing wire), take a length of that. Its rigid enough to thread through the frame. Use one of those grabby tools to lift it out of the hole at the other end. Tie a string to one end and pull it through. Tie the string to your new harness, and start yanking (okay, pull gingerly). Hopefully you hav'net pulled out the old yet, and can use the old to thread the string through.

As for how to complete the rest, its up to you. I like to plan how I will route, tie, and terminate each section before I do a rewire. I usually lay the harness out on the floor next to the truck, and then plan step by step, climbing around the truck as reference.

After you finish, I think you'll find it was no harder than the jeep you did.

rovertek
01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
using wire is the way to go to get it through the frame i use mig wire and wrap it around the oe wiring then tape over it so not to leave any sharp ends to catch on, under the hood and dash i start by clipping wires leaving the plug/connecters in place with about 2 in of the wire to leave an example of the color code which just makes it easier,remove the bulk of the old harness and lay out the new harness and replace one at a time.....

4flattires
01-21-2008, 07:52 PM
..nuff said.

Jeff