PDA

View Full Version : Differential Ratios for a 109

Saxondog
01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
What other Ring & Pinion ratios are available for the series III front & rear diff's other than the standard 4:7 & 3:54.

leafsprung
01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
The rover car ratios will work as will the early 4.88s. The only really readily available one is 4.1. If you have a 109 SIII all the dana 60 ratios will fit the rear salsbury.

yorker
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
You can get 4.1 diffs from Equipe 4X4 (http://www.drakenoffroad.com/Retail%20USA%202007.pdf), Great Basin Rovers, etc. Other ratios like 3.8 from KAM (http://www.kamdiffs.com/).

Saxondog
01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks, I have the salsbury and immediately recognized the cover as Dana, I suspected that domestic Dana 60 stuff would fit. so the problem is the front. If understood there is only the 4:10. Any info on aftermarket trac locks for the front? Or is the rover one a reliable limited slip?

78 RHD 109 Wagon

greenmeanie
01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Does anyone have leads for a used SIII Salisbury in the US? In my contemplation of a 109 project I have found one with a Ford 289. Yes sacriledge and all that but realistically I bet the original Rover rear axle is hurting so I would rather just go to a Salisbury than rebuild the old abused Rover.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Does anyone have leads for a used SIII Salisbury in the US? In my contemplation of a 109 project I have found one with a Ford 289. Yes sacriledge and all that but realistically I bet the original Rover rear axle is hurting so I would rather just go to a Salisbury than rebuild the old abused Rover.

Cheers
Gregor

Is that the one that was on eBay?

There should be plenty of Salisbury rear ends around. I sold the one from my ambulance to a local guy for his Lightewight. Alternatively you could upgrade the rear end to at least 24 spline Rover stuff(1.24" shafts).

Saxondog: look at the KAM link in my post above- there are other ratios available for a price- what ratio are you looking for?

also consider:
http://seriestrek.com/axles.html :thumb-up:

Hey Gregor aren't you on the 101 yahoo list? give a shout out there and see if anyone has a 109 Sals, I bet Ben Smith has one.

greenmeanie
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Aye that's me. Good idea.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Ben may have one, Christina Calado may have one- of course they are both in NJ so they are a ways away- but maybe you can find an effective means of shipping one or perhaps you come out here once in a while?

Mercedes Jim's 24 spline axles arent' a bad option though, same diameter as the Sals axle shafts, You still are dealing with the rover diff though, but seems to me that Land Rover dumped the Sals in the late 90s for a 4 pin 24 spline Rover axle in their HD applications?

leafsprung
01-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Not a fan of KAM. Interesting they are making some of the rover car ratios, plus 4.2. Which begs the questions why bother when you have 4.10

yorker
01-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't think I know anyone who has ever actually gotten anything from KAM... 4.2?! WTF? why?:sly: :confused:

Saxondog
01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
In short I don't know yet. I plan to do a full off frame resto/upgrade after I get my current project done (5 or 6 more months yet,gotta pay the bills too ya know) I'm pretty knowlegdable about car truck stuff, just never paid any attention to rovers until now. Trying to get up to speed so i know what I want when i get there. Didn't even drive one till after we got it. 1st impression, way under powered and therefore geared too low to compensate. Ok i guess if you never need go faster than 55 for short bursts.

yorker
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Well if you go for some engine with more power then you can definitely opt for higher gearing.

Saxondog
01-24-2008, 08:15 PM
O yeah the engine's got to go. I'm thinking diesel. A lot of options out there, still taking it all in. I know of the 300tdi, 2.8 IHI brazilian, the perkins prima, industrial perkins and cummins, mercedes,Jeep CRD, GM 6.2. you know of any others?

Any of these sereis III's have any sort of interior door panels. when I upgrade I try to keep stuff that at least looks like it belongs,if not truly rover.

greenmeanie
01-25-2008, 09:29 AM
[quote=yorker
Mercedes Jim's 24 spline axles arent' a bad option though, same diameter as the Sals axle shafts, You still are dealing with the rover diff though, but seems to me that Land Rover dumped the Sals in the late 90s for a 4 pin 24 spline Rover axle in their HD applications?[/quote]

Thanks for the direction Yorker,
Shipping doesn't bother me too much. As long as it gets on a pallet or whatever I'll take the beating on the cost. I'm used to gettting 101 stuff from the UK so I live with it.

The Salisbury seems most atractive to me just because it is pretty much a drop in solution. The rover may give more clearance under the diff but I don't think it is significant enough to put up with the hassle. I may also have a line to a front sals in the UK. Now that shipping will hurt. This would give me a great drive train and the common axles would allow me to play with diff ratios a lot easier/cheaper here in the US.

I'm really just feeling it out right now. My wife wants me to get a vehicle that will fit the family and I just really can't be bothered with modern cars. I would rather take a truck like the one on ebay and rebuild it with some upgrades to improve it's utility, driveability and safety. I was doing some project pricing yesterday and reckon I'd be in for 15-20K plus the truck for what I'd want to do to it.

I'm watching that one on ebay but I suspect the owner has greater expectations of its worth than I am willing to pay for a project car. We'll see.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm really just feeling it out right now. My wife wants me to get a vehicle that will fit the family and I just really can't be bothered with modern cars.

I hear you there!!

Easiest(well maybe not easiest- cheapest?) solution would be to swap the axles out entirely for something else. For originality and durability dual Sals would be cool though. Otherwise the 24 spline upgrade is probably the easiest way to go. :thumb-up: