PDA

View Full Version : Series III original alternator help! please.

DRTPOOR
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Say a person has a spare alternator that is known to be bad (not such a good spare to have) and wants to have it rebuilt. Is it possible to make the same alternator put out more amps? Say the stock Series III alternator does like 40 amps and I want it to do 65-80. Is this possible?

Any input would help.

Thank you
Scott

leafsprung
01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Delco

DRTPOOR
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Delco

I want to keep the original casing is it possible to make it put out more power?

S11A
01-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Since the principal here (simplistic) is to spin a coil of wire past magnets thus generating electricity, I would think that to improve power you would need to either add more coils of wire or else to get better magnets.

I would also guess that you would spend more money on doing either than you would spend on a new/bigger alternator.

For the "more wire" option, there would need to be enough room in the casing to accommodate, and you might probably have to unwind all of the existing wire and replace, as opposed to extending it.

thixon
01-25-2008, 08:14 AM
1) SIIa is right. It would depend on how much room is in the casing, and additionally on whether or not you could find someone willing to frankenstein it for you (my guess is no). I do know a guy here in my home town that would do it, but it would cost more than the advice I give below.

2) Listen to Ike (Leafsprung). You can get a Delco 10-SI at any local auto parts store, in the amp range you're after, in the $50 range (or less). If you don't have the correct mounts, either make them or visit www.pangolin4x4.com and order them. Yes, I'm promoting Ike here. He knows his S&*%, and makes some really cool stuff. Do it, you'll be happy, I promise. :thumb-up:

greenmeanie
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
As an aircraft generator designer I can tell you the answer is simply NO. You either have to spin it faster using the same EM by altering the pulley size. This will cause the thing to overheat and fail. The other way as stated by SIIA and others is to plug more EM material in there. The thing is the EM core is generally optimised for the wire and to some degree the number of turns. I could get into how you are best to buy new build Delcos as the overhaul shops tend to mix low/high output rotors and stators which causes them to burn up.

You could source a wire with better conductivity but then you run into the diode pack. I don't know enough about the LUCAS to tell you but you will very possibly exceed the amp rating of the diodes in the rectifier. Either way you will end up spending some serious money and probably doing several times as you burn up your hybrid unit.

If you are determined to stay lucas you could look at the 18ACR discussed a few threads down.

Having done all this you then need to look at your wiring harness to determine that the wire gauge of the power lead out of the alternator is sufficient amp rating to take the load you want it to carry. You should do this even if you do go the Delco route.

It sounds like you are trying to maintain an authentic look for a show car. I think you need to ask yourself whether appearnace or performance is most important to you. Ike's kit is very nice and a simple install.

Cheers
Gregor

yorker
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Unless it is a show truck and you are going for a 100 point restoration there is no good reason to keep a junk sIII alternator. There are better ones available out there for less $- Delco for one.

DRTPOOR
01-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to order the delco.