PDA

View Full Version : Importing from Canada

east high
01-28-2008, 05:44 PM
First time poster here.

I'm an Oregon resident and I'm considering purchasing a '72 sIII rover from Canada. I'm close enough to make the drive to pick it up. Legally speaking, what do I need to know/do to make this happen? Passport? Import documents? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks-

leafsprung
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Hello,
Im going to asume this is Gerad. Check out the government customs website online (google it) it will tell you everything you need to know/do. On a vehicle over 25 years, its a snap. Fill out the paperwork, pay duty and you are on your way. It will be EPA/DOT exempt, you will need a bill of sale (for the duty) and the title/registration documents. Thats all you need for the import, when you go to register it you will have to fill out some more forms at the DMV and apply for a OR title. Its pretty straightforward, but sometimes you will run into people at customs or at the DMV that arent familiar with the proceedure or the correct paperwork that will give you some flak. When you go to pick it up, stop at the border and pick up your paperwork on the way up, then when you are coming back you can have it all filled out when you get to the border, will save you some time. Good luck.

-Ike

east high
01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks Ike. How'd you know it was me? lol.

I'm still concerned about a passport. I guess it's my bad for not having one in these times.

leafsprung
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I donno about that, (Ive always had one) but your best bet is to call the border or call customs and get the offical word.

east high
01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Google's telling me that a photo ID (drivers license) and birth certificate will work until the summer of '08. Looks like I might be in luck for now..

leafsprung
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
sweet, Id double check to avoid disappointment. Sounds like youre good though

Enigma
01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
As a Canadian going into the USA, all I need so far is a photo ID ( our driver's licence is ok) However, I also take my passport which I needed to travel overseas with anyway, and entering the US has been easy. Best to check prior to going.

Next question? Why do you need to get a vehicle from Canada. That's 1 less for us to choose from!!!

chester rides again
01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I've brought two in in the last few years. It's a piece of cake. Just get it, put it on a flat bed and drive thru. My current truck cost me $88 at customs. You might want to consider a busier port of entry during odd hours as they are more likely to have seen old vehicles come through. I've crossed in VT and in Buffalo. The Buffalo crossing was this past September. To get get the truck in, I needed the title (Canadian registration card), bill of sale stating purchase amount ;) , and I think that was about it. So just what Ike said.

We rented a U-Haul trailer this last time and the straps were too short, so we had to let most of the air out of the front tire, strap down and re-inflate. Not the best idea so make sure you have long enough straps. We told U-Haul we were towing a Ford Bronco, as they didn't have a '68 Rover in their system.

Jeff

east high
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
If I end up buying this rover I'd have to drive it back down. There's no difference between driving it vs. trailering it is there?

chester rides again
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
um, big difference -
how are you going to drive an unregistered, uninsured, unplated vehicle across the US Border? As a US citizen, you can't get a set of temporary Canadien plates. :nono:

Rent a U-Haul trailer as close to the border as you can and trailer it across the border, then go to your nearest DMV (sucks you are in Oregon and not WA) and get your plates ( you need to have proof of insurance, registration/title, and bill of sale ) - at least in NY.

also, think about this - you don't know anything about this vehicle, yet you are thinking you will be able to drive it 200+ miles the first time out?

Willard
01-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Here is the info for the requirements traveling to and from Canada from the US.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

east high
01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
also, think about this - you don't know anything about this vehicle, yet you are thinking you will be able to drive it 200+ miles the first time out?

I hear ya, believe me. It's the pie in the sky half of me is the one that's considering buying this rover, but the practical side, which is telling me I'm crazy, is slowly winning out.

I'm still on the fence with this, but I'll probably wait for something closer to home. Thanks for all your help, guys.

greenmeanie
01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Is anyone aware of any car shipping companies who will take care of the import as well?

I'm looking at building a pre67 SIIA 109/V8 hybrid station wagon as a family car and th prices up in Canada seem a lot more reasonable for the quality of vehicle I am looking at for a core. i.e not 15K+ for something it would be a shame to butcher and not <3K for a basket case. Although I am open to offers.

Cheers
Gregor

east high
01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Is anyone aware of any car shipping companies who will take care of the import as well?

That's a good idea if this service exists. I'll bust some google on it.