PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an air filter: Weber - 34 ICH

Tim Smith
01-29-2008, 12:21 PM
So my lightweight never came with the normal oil bath air filter that I'm used to and it doesn't even have the battery mount in the engine room so I can't easily mount one if I wanted. Interesting...

What I had been doing was running an old D90 filter box mounted on the outside but I'm sick of that "junk yard dog" looking thing rattling around up there and want to replace it. I also have a radiator muff from our hosts :thumb-up: which covers my exit hole so it really is time for something new.

Any one know where I can get a good (and cheap) air filter for the 34 ICH? It's the single barrel carb and should be simple enough but the local pep boys type stores only carry filters with a 3" + inlet opening it seems.

I did find this site for weber filters but it doesn't show me a picture of the mounting.
http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weberpartsair.asp

What I'd like to do is combine the new air filter with the possibility of adding a snorkel later on. The D90 box it a little too cumbersome to find a nice solid mounting spot in the engine bay right now so I'd love to see pictures of home made jobs that others have done.

Here is a shot of the old setup. Yeah thats a lot of PVC and yeah, it does have problems breathing like that (another reason to update this setup).

http://lh5.google.com/smithco1/RhQBEiu2m0I/AAAAAAAAAqk/-u3GX4GgZpI/s144/DumboSnorkel.jpg

Oh yeah, and I searched the forums and only came up with this info about K&N's. This tells me that K&N's aren't all they are cracked up to be...
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12&highlight=filter (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12&highlight=filter)

And this about raised intakes. But that doesn't tell me anything about non-oil bath filters.
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436&highlight=filter

Cheers all,
Tim

ajones
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Tim, I have a cheap standar circular type airfilter of my weber. I bought it at Advance Autoparts, but my carb already had and adapter ring on top of it.

Les Parker
01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Tim, I guess your vehicle is/was a 24v and the battery/ies are located in the cab area.
RN can supply a oil bath filter 279652X (139.50), I have a used battery box/air cleaner mount ($50.00), plus PLC221 Conv. hose ($25.15) plus RND053 Carb elbow ($83.00), plus RNC375 Adaptor sleeve ($29.50) plus 3 hose clips and you'd have the factory set up.
Unless somone has a alternative idea......

daveb
01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
what engine do you have?

So my lightweight never came with the normal oil bath air filter that I'm used to and it doesn't even have the battery mount in the engine room so I can't easily mount one if I wanted. Interesting...

Tim Smith
01-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Tim, I guess your vehicle is/was a 24v and the battery/ies are located in the cab area.
RN can supply a oil bath filter 279652X (139.50), I have a used battery box/air cleaner mount ($50.00), plus PLC221 Conv. hose ($25.15) plus RND053 Carb elbow ($83.00), plus RNC375 Adaptor sleeve ($29.50) plus 3 hose clips and you'd have the factory set up.
Unless somone has a alternative idea......

Thanks Les,
Yes, you are right about the battery residing in the cab. It's the middle seat. :p The truck was probably 24v at one time but it's 12v ever since I've had it.

The thing is though, the frame is missing the base support that the battery tray bolts to. And of course the previous owner used that real estate to mount the ARB compressor off the wing. So it's not really in the cards to bring the battery support back without a lot more fiddling.

Perhaps the carb elbow and conv. hose will come in useful just to mount up to the carb, but I'll have to first take a look at what possibilities there are.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Smith
01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Tim, I have a cheap standar circular type airfilter of my weber. I bought it at Advance Autoparts, but my carb already had and adapter ring on top of it.
I'd be curious as to who makes that and what adapter ring you are using.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Smith
01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
what engine do you have?
Right now? :p

It's a 2.25 standard lump. The truck came into my possession with the 2.5L that had the ACR "power" set up. Unfortunately the truck was used as a stop light drag racer (my own opinion) in it's previous life and had developed a lovely knock. I was told that the block was originally a diesel but was switched over with the gas head and ACR components when it was put in there.

I switched them over and while the original 2.5 motor was awaiting the rebuild, my house burned down around it. Thus I lost all of the intake manifold, SU carb, air filter and other lovely bits that was on there. I had to do a rush job and toss an old weber on that I had sitting around (and was undamaged from the fire).

I miss the power of the ACR motor but not the knocking or major oil burning/leaks. :rolleyes:

Terrys
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Tim, I was under the impression that the webber filter, PN 99217.413 goes right on top of the 34ICH without an adapter ring.

Tim Smith
01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Tim, I was under the impression that the webber filter, PN 99217.413 goes right on top of the 34ICH without an adapter ring.
I get that impression too but it would be nice to see a picture of it. You must have gotten that part number from the carburetor parts store I copied a link in to, right?

Was half way through the online ordering process with that thing yesterday, when it struck me. I have no idea what I'm getting here. Why didn't they just post a picture of it?

I started with the cone filter in mind, but they didn't even bother to mention how tall it is. Then the flat one, well how is it put together? It's annoying to put an order in for $30+ on something that you have no idea what it is. It's even more annoying to have to return items like this with most online retailers.. <sigh>

Any way, if I could have put my hands on this thing I probably would have bought it already. Otherwise, Ill just complain about it. ;)

Jim-ME
01-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Les,
The part # you listed for the adapter is for the Zenith carb. Does that one work with the Webber 34ICH?
Jim