PDA

View Full Version : Roverdrives

Jim-ME
01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I just spent about an hour on the phone with the folks a Wise Owl Inovations who are the NA distributors for Roverdrives. Apparently the lack of ODs is a result of the manufacturer not problems with the design or with the solvency of the company. They told me they keep getting promised ODs but they never show up. They also said that if they can get emails from people that are serious about buying a Roverdrive that it would help them with the manufacturer. So if you are going to buy a Roverdrive drop Wise Owl a note sales@wiseowlparts.com (sales@wiseowlparts.com) and tell them you want one. It may help getting the manufacturer of dead center.
Jim

msggunny
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
It sucks that they are having problems with the manufacturers. I waited a few months for one, only to have to use my money i put away for it for an emergency, if they had it ready sooner i would have one in my truck right now.

Still want one, hopefully i can get the cash again for one.

Jim-ME
01-30-2008, 06:38 PM
I really am beginning to think that anything for Series vehicles is going to get harder and harder to find. That is why I'm buying all of the body parts, drive train parts and interior trim parts I can possibly get ASAP.
Jim

giorgio
01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I ordered one last year. The story was about the same. I went ahead and committed to buy one, and a couple of months later I got it. I think it helps to go ahead and get on the list as a committed buyer.

Note: for a 2.6L there are "slight modifications" necessary, which entails cutting two different pieces, and welding in two inch extensions. First, that is more than a slight modification in my book, and second, both pieces in question are just raw stock pieces of metal, and could easily be offered in two different lengths.

With only limited use, I have been mostly pleased with the Roverdrive, which I did install myself.

leafsprung
01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Just buy a fairey from RDS

Mercedesrover
02-01-2008, 05:29 AM

X2

Units in stock as well as all the parts.

Jim-ME
02-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Although I enjoy doing business with RDS I don't believe the Fairey OD is as good as the Roverdrive. Just one man's opinion. Not trying to start a war here.
Jim

leafsprung
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't believe the Fairey OD is as good as the Roverdrive

Why? Ive had and installed many of both, so has Jim.

Mercedesrover
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I'll agree with you to a point. I have a Roverdrive in my 88" and there are many things I like about it. It requires no maintenance other than changing the t-case fluid. It also runs dead-silent. It does, however, run extremely hot and requires synthetic oil in my opinion, and it will pop out of gear under very heavy loads. There also seems to be no support at this point. Don't get me wrong, Ray is a great guy and I've used is stuff for years, but if you have trouble with one of these, you're dead in the water.

The Fairey on the other hand is available, plentiful, and all the parts are in stock. George at RDS is a great guy and having support for the Fairey probably outweighs the fact that they need more mainenance and probably a few bearings every 15-20k miles.

leafsprung
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Faireys have a few weaknesses (input splines etc). I have not had the quality control issues Ive had with the roverdrives (porous castings etc) Ive also never seen a fairey explode (literally) and Ive seen one roverdrive explode (Sean Bishop I think) and heard of one more.

KevinNY
02-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Plus you get to talk to George, which is always a special experience.:eek:

n6zt
02-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I have a Roverdrive in my Dormobile running a Robert Davis 3 Litre engine. I've got over 30,000 miles on it, and its quiet, and shifts like butter. If you are concerned with it being hot, which in no way affects it performance, Ray has a finned pan for the transfer case which helps a lot. It is so much more robust and well designed than the Fairy. It, in my opinion, is well worth the wait. Also, if you do have a problem, Ray will stand behind it. He is a real stand up guy. My Dormobile was a 6 cyl, and installation was no problem.

Jim-ME
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Reasons I prefer the Roverdrive. It is built or so I have been lead to believe from more readily accessible GM parts. It shares oil with the transfer case instead of being a seperate housing. It has a dip stick to check oil levels. I personally prefer synthetic oils and if I ever repace all the seals that currently leak I'll switch to synthetics. The porous housings are a manufacturing/quality control problem and is no fault of what I feel is a better design to start with. I've been told that the Fairey runs hotter than the Roverdrive. I personally feel that any OD will run hot if you use it to increase top end instead of allowing the engine to run at lower RPMs at a given speed. Like I said I'm not trying to start a war here. All I origionally wanted to do was to allert folks that want a Roverdrive as to one possible way to get them manufactured again. It is up to each Rover owner to weigh the pluses and minuses before they buy.
Jim

Terrys
02-01-2008, 11:30 AM

X3. Everything is available, but I never had a problem with one. Talking to George is a humbling experience, albeit fun. It helps if you also have had a dozen extra caffeine sodas in you. It's also worth the price of admission to ask him stupid questions. His answers are worth making yourself look dumb, even when you're not.

leafsprung
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
The porous housings are a manufacturing/quality control problem and is no fault of what I feel is a better design to start with

It could be the best design ever conceived by mankind, but if it isnt made well, its irrelevant.

Jim-ME
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM
OK Ike I'll totally agree with that one. You're right I'm wrong my bad.
Jim

msggunny
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Another problem with the Fairey, from what i have been told and is one of the reasons i was going to go with a Roverdrive, is that if you have a permanently mounted center console you wont be able to access the Fairey for oil, etc.

Any truth to this?

I have a Tuffy center console bolted to the seatbox, cant access the center access door anymore because of it.

leafsprung
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Jim - youre a pushover :D There are pros and cons to either choice.

MS - The console makes a lot of servicing less conveinent. You can still service the OD, T-case, park brake from below, its just easier from above.

Jeff Aronson
02-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I've had Fairey overdrives in my II-A's since the mid-1990's. The first one wore out after 100,00 miles, but all it did was pop out of overdrive sporadically, on startup at stop signs. It never caused problems under heavy load, like off roading. When I replaced it with another one from Rovers North ,it ran great until the drain plug fell out and all the hypoid exited the overdrive. So I replaced it with a used one that has nearly 100,000 miles on it. No problems and parts are still available for the Fairey.

I have seen the Roverdrive at a demonstration event. It's a nice looking piece of machinery but I've never been in a Rover with one installed.

Jeff

Jim-ME
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I guess it really comes down to at this point a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Fairey available. Roverdrive not. Makes the decision a lot easier if your are buying an OD in the very near future.
Jim

KevinNY
02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Just check the oil religiously and change it regularly and only use it for cruising, they are more robust than "common knowledge" would indicate.

Donnie
02-03-2008, 09:02 PM
It sucks that they are having problems with the manufacturers. I waited a few months for one, only to have to use my money i put away for it for an emergency, if they had it ready sooner i would have one in my truck right now.

Still want one, hopefully i can get the cash again for one.
What is the problem with Roverdrives? I must have missed something along the way here. I understand that they were using off the shelf planet's from Gen. Motors.. Where are they being made? Who is doing the casting? Is it a case or gear train problem.....a lot of queries here, but I missed the whole show.........

Jim-ME
02-04-2008, 06:14 AM
In a nutshell: They are having problems getting them made in addition to problems with QC.
Jim

Donnie
02-17-2008, 08:57 PM
In a nutshell: They are having problems getting them made in addition to problems with QC.
Jim
A planetary geartrain is a good idea, you could use a Simpson set up & get 2 gear options..where arre they being made? Offshore? I have never seen one, but would like to get my hands on one that is broken & cheap...anyone?????

redmondrover
02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
In response to msggunny's question about being able to service an overdrive if you have a console installed, I just installed a 12 inch tuffy box in our 109 and used snap pins so that the box could be removed easily when it was time to service the overdrive (we have a fairey). Snap pins are spring loaded pins threaded into a nut. I had a welder build and weld brackets to the middle seat rails in front and to the seat belt brackets on the back. The snap pins have cotter pins inserted through them inside the box. When it is time to service the OD, you pull out the cotter pins, pull back the snap pins and the box lifts right out. I can provide pictures if anyone is interested.