PDA

View Full Version : Places to get Series Rovers restored...

Roverdawg76
01-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey fellas... I'm a ways out from doing this, but at some point, like many of us, I'd like to get a full frame of restoration done on my truck... Naturally, I could opt to do this myself, over a long period of time, but I almost wonder if it would be worth it to just get it done by the pros.

I've seen the East Coast Rover guys... and Land Rover Ranch in New Mexico... both look good although I know ECR has a huge wait time and is backed up. If you could have yours done, where would you take it? Anyone have a list of people who do restoration? What have you heard about each Resto shop?

leafsprung
01-31-2008, 12:59 AM
The best restoration is the one you do yourself.

Jim-ME
01-31-2008, 05:45 AM
I have to agree with Ike. I just wish I had welding and painting skills. You can add Pangolin4X4 and Singing Camel to your list of people to talk to. There also West Coast British and British North West but I had not had much if any experience with either company so I can't say anything good or bad. You are correct about ECR. They do incredible work but I've heard that there is a 2 years waiting list but you would have to confirm that with Mike Smith. I did visit the 4X4 Shop in Burlington, VT and saw a really sweet 88 2a that they were restoring. Last but not least is Matt Browne at Overland Engineering in Eliot, ME which is most likely where I will get bulkhead work done. Good luck either way you go.
Jim

ShootingCar
01-31-2008, 07:11 AM
I am new here and a new Rover Owner. Just bought a '69 Series IIa that was upgraded by ECR in '98 (frame off, coil sprung, ARB Rockers, roll bar, etc.) and resold through them. By coincidence, I was seriously looking at vehicles from either ECR or the Land Rover Ranch and had emails and phone conversations with both. The vehicle at ECR just seemed more to what I liked in being upgraded, etc. But I was impressed talking with Jim at the Land Rover Ranch too and would have gone to him probably otherwise. One thing is that ECR seems more attuned to modernizing vehicles (coil springs) versus the Land Rover Ranch seemed more into original (leaf springs). But that was just my impression of them. I was impressed by the passion they each seemed to have for these vehicles though.

Eric W S
01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't think Mike is doing Series anymore. Search the ECR site. They had a disclaimer on only doing Defenders awhile back.

sven
01-31-2008, 08:37 AM
ECR is only doing Defenders and VW dunebuggy's (http://www.eastcoastrover.com/BuggyProjects.html) too! :thumb-up:

CMorris
01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Lanny Clark (worked at Rovers North for many years) of Colchester Vermont can do anything from a functional restoration to a show piece. Lanny has helped me bring two trucks back to life, and I've owned one of his nut and bolt restorations.

Jeff Aronson
01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Lanny Clark's knowledge and work is outstanding. He should be on your list.

East Coast Rover has done historically accurate restorations and had Series vehicles there on my last visit. Their collective knowledge of all Land Rovers is impressive. My vehicle demonstrates that they will restore or refurbish Series vehicles to your preference.

They do recognize that a lot of owners prefer to have coil spring chassis with disc brakes to achieve contemporary safety and handling expectations; for many Series owners who want to use their cars daily in modern traffic conditions, it's a logical answer.

Jeff

slloyd
01-31-2008, 05:15 PM
ECR told me about a month ago that it would be at least 5 to 6 years before they could get to mine. Then I asked them if they would do just the 5 speed conversion and I never heard back. They didn't seem too concerned with adding another customer.

-Sean

1965 IIA 88

Roverdawg76
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I'll start a list of all these guys and check around when I get to that time... with the apparent popularity of ECR, seems like they need a 'Orange County Chopper' type of show on cable... geez.. that's amazingly long wait time!

Thanks for all the input... if you know of others, chime in. I'm sure there are plenty of us that are interested in doing this!

Les Parker
02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
There is also Cooper Technica, in Chicago.
He has complete many, many Landrover correct restorations and is very easy to talk to.
David Cooper, proprieter of Cooper Technica's phone number is :-

312-440-0711

:thumb-up:

Eric W S
02-01-2008, 08:11 AM
I'll vouch for David's quality. Great guy and does great work. Seen about 4-5 of his trucks over the years. Does functional to full on restoration.

Lanny even complemented him a few years ago when I spoke to him.

EwS

thixon
02-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Hit it yourself. You can weld, do body work, and paint fine, you just don't know it yet.

Buy a welder, buy a compressor and spray gun. Practice, read, and ask questions.

Evan after you buy the equipment, you'll come out cheaper than paying a pro. (no offense to the pros on this board).

Fixing up a rover is'nt bad, and you'll learn alot. I've done a bunch of restos over the last 25 years, and not once did I come out spending more than if I'd paid a pro. This includes numerous brit cars, jeeps, and a '61 corvette. Any yes I painted the vette myself.

S11A
02-01-2008, 01:13 PM
One thing to consider is the purchase of a rolling chassis. I have seen maybe 10 or so of these on eBay in the last year or two, and they go for around $3 - 10K. They will often get you the frame, axles, springs and dampers, and wheels and tires. Some of these have included the engine and trans and are drivable, and usually come with the body and rest of the parts in boxes.

You could duplicate a nearly-running chassis for:

Chassis: $2,800
Springs and shocks: $700
Wheels and tires: $800
Axles: $1,200 apiece
Transmission and transfer case: $1,800
Drive shafts: $600
Engine: $4,000
Radiator: $350
Brakes and lines: $600
New fuel tank: $200
Fuel lines: $200
Wiring harnesses: $800
Exhaust: $500
(Rough estimates)

For a total of around $15,000, you would have a nice starting point and could almost be able to drive it (but the local constabulary would likely frown upon that ;) . And that is worst case, assuming ALL of the original parts mentioned above need to be totally scrapped.

While doing the work yourself might be beyond your skills, or the significant other's patience, or garage space, it is something to consider if you have done significant work on cars.

As Travis said, you will end up with a nice collection of equipment and tools too.

The estimates I have heard of from the shops are generally in the $50K range. You can buy a lot of tools for that...

S11A
02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
The best restoration is the one you do yourself.

The second best one is to buy from the guy who has one listed on eBay and is described as "over $50K invested, selling for $15K". (After a thorough in-person inspection, of course.)

That sort of poor return on investment is going to be true of most vehicles that are not the "1 of 7 built" collector cars that are going on Barrett-Jackson for a few humdred thou. e.g.- original Cobra, Hemi Cuda, etc.

S11A
02-06-2008, 02:54 PM
This guy's trucks are coming down in price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Fully-Restored-Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Truly-Rare-Car_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6296QQihZ011QQitemZ 320215725847QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Might be worth a look especially if you would not mind a vaction in Costa Rica, which is by all accounts I have seen a spectacular destination.

They have another on eBay, which appears to be coil-sprung:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Restored-Upgraded-Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Custom_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6296QQihZ011QQit emZ320215733719QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Might be worth investigating further if you are in the market...

ajones
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Did anyone notice the windows on the doors with clear zip down plastic? Much like soft top jeep doors. Has anyone ever tried it or seen it done?

junkyddog11
02-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Last but not least is Matt Browne at Overland Engineering in Eliot, ME which is most likely where I will get bulkhead work done. Jim

Thanks for that Jim.

Just to pre answer the most commonly asked (daily) questions....

1) no I don't intend to have a fancy website detailing every little thing that I do differently than "those other shops"

2) I am not any less expensive than ECR (I think my hourly rate is actually more ...)

3) I am also scheduled far in advance (2yrs for major projects)

4) I don't retail parts and am not BW Overland

5) Do have a good sense of humor and would enjoy discussing any other subjects :thumb-up:

...and Ike is right.

solihull109
03-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't think Mike is doing Series anymore. Search the ECR site. They had a disclaimer on only doing Defenders awhile back.
No, they also do series work as well.

solihull109
03-06-2008, 10:41 AM
ECR is only doing Defenders and VW dunebuggy's (http://www.eastcoastrover.com/BuggyProjects.html) too! :thumb-up:
That's right Sven...:thumb-up: ...VDub ist in da house

galen216
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
No, WE also do series work as well.

Fixed it for ya.

solihull109
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Bravo.:)