PDA

View Full Version : will a disco series 2 pull a series 2a ?

autoguy
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
will a discovery series 2 pull a series 2a on a trailer, for about 450 miles without hurting the disco ?

it will be dads disco series 2 with a class 3 hitch pulling a 2a on a trailer, i haven't bought the 2a yet, but hopefully will soon

Bostonian1976
01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
pretty sure you'll be fine. are you renting a trailer?

http://www.eunos.com/keith/landy/images/out_of_barn_3.jpg

autoguy
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
yep i will be renting a trailer, i am deciding between an open trailer or closed trailer, the 88 im looking at is in pieces so it should fit in an enclosed trailer

dads disco is a 2001

Terrys
02-01-2008, 05:00 AM
It will pull it just fine.
If you're going to rent a trailer, I cannot reccomend enough the U-Haul aluminum 2 axle trailer. They pull like a dream. I have tried to buy one from them but they say they destroy everything when it gets towards the end of it's useful life. So, now I am scheming how I can steal one.

Bostonian1976
02-01-2008, 07:06 AM
that's the trailer I used too. 50 bucks for the day and I pretty much forgot it was there on the highway in the fj

highmile
02-01-2008, 09:16 AM
You'll be fine! In November I pulled a 1967 109" on a U-Haul autotransport behind the Disco I for about 200 miles with one moderate mountain pass to climb. Take it slow and enjoy the drive. U-Haul doesn't know what a Series Rover is, I just told them I was hauling a Jeep CJ-7.

Since your Series is in pieces, I doubt the U-Haul autotransport would work well for you. The U-Haul autotransport trailer is basically just two tire trays with wheels meaning there is no tub or bottom to the trailer, In other words, you can see the ground.

jp-
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
It will pull it just fine.
If you're going to rent a trailer, I cannot reccomend enough the U-Haul aluminum 2 axle trailer. They pull like a dream. I have tried to buy one from them but they say they destroy everything when it gets towards the end of it's useful life. So, now I am scheming how I can steal one.

Steal a car, fake your driver's license, and rent one. Dump the car, change the vin plates on the trailer. Done.

autoguy
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM
thanks for the reassurances :) i recon i will rent an aluminum trailer from uhaul

Terrys
02-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Steal a car, fake your driver's license, and rent one. Dump the car, change the vin plates on the trailer. Done.

This is why the south lost the war. I'm just gonna hang around the rest area on the turnpike. Some sorry bugger is gonna pull in to take a leak and get a CinnaBun, and I'll be long gone.

LaneRover
02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
This is why the south lost the war. I'm just gonna hang around the rest area on the turnpike. Some sorry bugger is gonna pull in to take a leak and get a CinnaBun, and I'll be long gone.

And if your lucky it will already be full of Rover parts!

DiscoDave
02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I just completed a trip towing my Series III on a trailer behind my Disco II from North Carolina to Idaho. A couple hundred miles shouldn't be that bad, comparatively, but I'd take a real close look at everything under the truck and keep it real easy on the highway.

Let's face it, the Disco isn't designed to do this for its primary job, but she'll do it if you're nice to her. Slow to go, slow to stop. I've done it with and without trailer brakes and I'd opt for brakes anyday of the week.

autoguy
02-04-2008, 01:00 AM
I just completed a trip towing my Series III on a trailer behind my Disco II from North Carolina to Idaho. A couple hundred miles shouldn't be that bad, comparatively, but I'd take a real close look at everything under the truck and keep it real easy on the highway.

Let's face it, the Disco isn't designed to do this for its primary job, but she'll do it if you're nice to her. Slow to go, slow to stop. I've done it with and without trailer brakes and I'd opt for brakes anyday of the week.

thanks, for the info, dad said he wanted to check his disco out from tip to tail and change the oil before the trip, i figure it will be fairly slow on the return trip :)

jp-
02-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Would that be the war of northern aggression that yer referrin ta?