PDA

View Full Version : BULLETS & PLUGS

WILLYSMB
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I am rewiring my series 3 and was wondering is there anything you can put on the wire bullets before attaching to the various plugs and adaptors?:confused: You know something to stop rust from forming over the years, as time and climate changes progress, ie humid ,cold, hot, dry ... I want to kept the connections functioning as they should for years:D

any ideas would be helpful thanks Marshall:thumb-up:

Richard
02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I haven't tried this myself, but saw it done on a restored Ford "Mutt" Jeep. On the trailer hitch plug, which was exposed to the elements, the owner filled the holes for the individual connectors with dielectric (non conducting) grease. I'm not sure how it works out in the long term (hot days, melting grease oozing out...), but he was pleased with his results.

-Richard

gudjeon
02-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I have used this stuff with good results on all kinds of connectors.

http://grote.com/cgi-bin/goc/goc.cgi?product_number=99170

Jim-ME
02-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I use Dielectic Silicone often referred to as bulb grease on all my bulbs and bullet connrctions.
Jim

S11A
02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I could not find a large tube at local auto supply stores (odd...) but one place did have small packets of the dielectric grease for bulbs (about the size of a sugar packet). I bought 5 of them and that was way more than I needed.

WILLYSMB
02-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I also found this dielectric grease in small tubes, The method to apply is just put a lite coating on the bullets and or connectors:confused: yes or no and as far as the bulbs go apply alittle around the bulb base just a smear:p

let me know if this is right ?

Marshall

jp-
02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I solder all my bullets on. No grease needed.

gudjeon
02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
The idea behind using dielectric grease is that it also wicks up the wires at the connecting ends. This is especially true for the grease behind the bulbs where there is some heat generated. Keeps wire ends from corroding as well. Just pull apart any major harness plug from an 80's car. Usually a gooey mess.

greenmeanie
02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I solder all my bullets on. No grease needed.

Now to take off at a tangeant, that sounds like the perfect opening to start the traditional crimp vs solder arguement. :D

Jim-ME
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Let's not and say we did.
Jim