PDA

View Full Version : Brackets on frame outriggers not lining up

thixon
02-03-2008, 07:12 PM
So today I pulled the rest of the body off my project (still double checking previous guys lame attempt at assembly). Before I did, I found that the new frame doesn't quite match up at the rear tub(front/bulkead/seatbox are okay). See photos. Any thoughts? Doesnt look like it should be an issue. I can redrill/fab brackets. I have no idea where he bought the frame. Everything else he bought appears to have come from either our host.

leafsprung
02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Lemmie guess:

early tub on a late frame?

Jim-ME
02-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Mine is the same way also done by the PO. I've always suspected that it was early tub / later frame situation. Ike just confirmed it for me. All the PO did was drill new holes. Will be interested to hear is there is a potential problem here and what should be done.
Jim

thixon
02-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Early tub/late frame sounds plausible. Unfortunately, I have no way of confirming what the previous owner bought. I'm taking it down the rest of the way this weekend. I'll update on what I find, and how I plan to deal with it.

thixon
02-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Went trough his receipts this morning. He bought the frame from our hosts. Called them. Early tub/late frame is the deal. I'll adapt. No big deal. Thanks for the input guys. I'll post photos of what do later.

gallf1
02-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi:
I ran into the same problem when I did a frame off restoration as part of 109 re-build. What I found when I took it apart was about 1-2" of shapped aluminum spacer shims that fit perfectly in between the crossmember flange and the tub. I think they are a LR part at the holes all lined up perfectly.

Jim-ME
02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Quite possibly we'll hear from our hosts on this one.
Jim

daveb
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm not the host but I have seen the shims and I've NEVER had the tub holes line up @ the area in question. No problem, just drill it. But don't drill into the gas tank.

Quite possibly we'll hear from our hosts on this one.
Jim