PDA

View Full Version : Home remedy

PH4
02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
A little off topic but would appreciate any advice. While installing seat belts in the 109 pick up this weekend I had been using PB Blaster to loosen parts. while underneath the 109 I somehow leaned against can and it was discharging into my polar fleece. I did not realize this until probably sometime later. I assume with as much wrench turning as this board does it may have a solution to getting smell of oils out of fleece/cloths. Two washing so far and still reeks. The fleece was soaked with PB on the left side.

yank
02-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Try orange gojo or some kind of degrease hand cleaner.:nono:

jp-
02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Believe it or not, Dawn actually cuts grease. I have successfully gotten grease and oil off clothing using it. You must wash it in the sink though. It helps if you have one of those old washboard things (I just use my abs).

LaneRover
02-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Believe it or not, Dawn actually cuts grease. I have successfully gotten grease and oil off clothing using it. You must wash it in the sink though. It helps if you have one of those old washboard things (I just use my abs).

You forgot the 'L' in that last word.....

Of course maybe you should feed them more if their ribs are sticking out that much! :D

Daurie
02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
I'd try a biodegradable citrus degreaser.. soak the heck out of it, agitate in sink then rinse. I get mineral spirits and such on my shirts all the time from my parts washer and it stinks too. Usually the bio degreaser makes a good middle man for the hand off to the washing machine as it cuts the petrol based substance down and rinses it mostly out so you're left with easily washed out stuff. :D

autoguy
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
i dont have any suggestion besides let it hang outside, but i do have a suggestion of a shop jacket, i have a carhart that i use for a shop jacket and wear it when i play with my car or scoot and will wear it when i work on my rover, when i get my rover :)

i leave my shop jacket in the garage so it doesnt stink up the house :D

all else fails if you cant get the smell out of your jacket than you have a new shop jacket :)

PH4
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. PB Blaster is a good product but with a unique smell.

daveb
02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
ditto on the gojo. Anything i have that gets a land rover related grease stain that won't come out in the wash gets the gojo and scrub brush treatment, then a regular wash cycle. works every time.

Thanks for the suggestions. PB Blaster is a good product but with a unique smell.

rovertek
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
try what the pro uppholsters use (laquer thinner) on a clean white rag, works good on cloth uppholstery and carpets,also your favorite chair, just test in a inconspicuos spot for color run.......

amcordo
10-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I love dredging up these old threads...

I've got a lab-coat for rover work. I put it on whenever I'm near the thing. It must be made for chemical work because oils and stuff don't really soak into it and certainly don't bleed through it. Great way to keep your clothes alive when you own a Series.

Plus you can demand that people call you Doc Rover.

LH Drive
10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
regular 20 oz bottle of Coke mixed with mild soap/water in a 5 gal. bucket will work. Amazing how it even cleans your battery terminal post too. Good stuff, I drink it all the time.

ArlowCT
10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
LESTOIL heavy duty cleaner found at your local supermarket. This stuff if unreal (plus is doesn't smell too bad), was the only stuff that would get my clothes clean when working in a diesel shop. Just make sure you remember to wipe the washing machine drum down with some paper towels to get the grease off it when you are done.

Cheers