PDA

View Full Version : what is it?

vandermeter
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, Have gleaned a great deal from your forum since purchasing my 88 in November. Just a 73 series III, but it sure gets alot of attention- meet new people whenever I park it in public. Truck is my daily driver-my first rover, (but luckily my first "ride" was a masey-ferguson)...so I love this 88.Couple of questions...

what is the metal handle(about the same lenght as the crank handle-works and is awsome by the way)with a round circular opening on one end and a flared squarish other end...?? is it the jack handle?There is no jack body...

Are jacks available? can i just use my hilift?

Also-top speed? I seem to be able to go 60-65mph no trouble on the highway...no OD. is this normal? thanks if you can help.

BackInA88
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Sounds like the original jack handle.
Most of the jacks are long lost, I understand they weren't that good anyway.
No body jack. I always go under the axle spring pad.
I use a small bottle jack and keep it under the center seat cubby.

Welcome to the world of Land Rovers.:thumb-up:

Steve

LaneRover
02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I always go under the axle spring pad.
I use a small bottle jack and keep it under the center seat cubby.

Welcome to the world of Land Rovers.:thumb-up:

Steve

I concur on the little bottle jack. You can use a hi-lift to change a tire but I would only do that if you have things well chocked and you didn't really have another choice as it can get a bit squirrelly when its up there in the air. But with a bottle jack under the spring you don't lift as far and is a lot safer.

Good luck!

Brent

rovertek
02-04-2008, 04:25 PM
dont throw it away they are getting hard to come by, some people are sticklers for having an origional LR...........

Colorado X-Panda
02-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, it is definitely the jack handle. The original equipment was a screw jack, about 4 or 5 inch square base and about 7 inches high closed. There should be a wooden handle about 6 inches long which fits into the ring on the end. I also concur that bottle jacks are easier to use. (but the screw jack doesn't leak hydraulic fluid in the tool box.)

vandermeter
02-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys, wondered what it was..bought a really good jumper set for the 88 before a rover pal showed me the starting crank later the same day...lol.
guess I can always jump others with them. I'll pick up a bottle jack asap.

cheers

brendan

Jim-ME
02-05-2008, 06:46 AM
I bought a $30 floor jack at the parts store for at home stuff and use a high lift on the road. Truthfully the floor jack is small enough and came in a plastic carry case so I could carry that in the Rover as well. Won't leave home without the highlift though.
Jim