PDA

View Full Version : More Rocky Mountain questions.

greenmeanie
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
At the risk of showing my ignorance, where does one order their disc brake convrsions from? I looked at the wise owl site and the Rocky Mountain site and couldn't find them.

Cheers
Gregor

madp
02-05-2008, 07:00 AM
I just emailed them and got the reply below:
The email adress I used was this one: rockymtn@look.ca (rockymtn@look.ca)
They where very promt to reply, I am going to order a set in the next few months after I fix a few other more pressing issuse.....

"We do sell the Torrel disc brake conversion kits for series Land Rovers. The kit is complete with all required parts, including new brake hoses and non standard tools. Installation time is about four hours with normal hand tools, no modifications are required.
16" wheels are required to clear the caliper.
The conversion gives a substantial improvement over the original drum system.
The kit costs 1200.00 US and shipping is about 180.00, (The kit weighs 112#)"

TeriAnn
02-05-2008, 07:38 AM
At the risk of showing my ignorance, where does one order their disc brake convrsions from? I looked at the wise owl site and the Rocky Mountain site and couldn't find them.

The brakes are a stealth product. You need to know they exist and who has them in order to buy the conversion. Of course an easy way to do that is to read the web page I wrote documenting my conversion.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/discBrake.htm

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/DiscAssembled.jpg
Here's a picture of my conversion freshly done. Yes that is a Scout II power steering box at the top of the picture.

They are kind of like Timm Cooper's conversion products, You gotta know about Timm and know someone who has his phone number. The disc brake conversion that Rovers North sells is one of Timm's designs. He designed the hub & swivel housing and has them cast.

You email Rocky Mountain or Wise owl, tell them you want the kit and make the transaction.

I'm really happy with my conversion. The Torrel Industries conversion works just fine stopping my heavy expedition Dormobile.:thumb-up::thumb-up::thumb-up:

greenmeanie
02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone. I may just go ahead and order a set now as I am aiming to have a selection of trucks all as possible conversion condidates. One way or the other it will go on something. Does anyone run the rear set up too, or is that considered overkill for a 109?

Cheers
Gregor