PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Rivets

Jim-ME
02-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I know hammer rivets are available from aircraft supply houses as are the installation tools but the rivets that our aircraft mechanics use seem to be much harder than Rover rivets. Can anyone that understands hammer rivet nomenclature explain which ones I want to replace the rivets in a tub? Size, length and hardness would be very helpful. My aircraft guys only use what aircraft specs call for as they should.
Jim

Dav1550
02-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Jim

FWIW...... I've fooled around with both the aircraft hardened and regular solid aluminum <--- can't recall the letter code's that dissimulate types..... But ended up for the most part using regular soft solid alloy rivets.
I found them a bit more easier to set and figured a good fit would be better than hardness when it came to assembling the truck.

As far as rivet size,,,,, it's best to get them long and then trim them to fit with a rivet cut-off tool. Thickness vary with the cappings / folds in the alloy tub and such....... so it's best to have a correct and consistent tail length to work with when go to set the rivets.

Solid aluminum "round head" rivet 3/16" dia, 1/2" length is what I've used on tub, bonnet, window sides. etc.

McMaster Carr part # 97482 A275 <--- is one sorce that I've used for solid rivets

Dave

Jim-ME
02-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Dave,
You da man! Thanks ever so much.
Jim

Eric W S
02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.roverhaul.com/rivets.htm

Great description and links to suppliers.

EwS

Jim-ME
02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
That too is a tremendous help. Thanks!
Jim