PDA

View Full Version : Topless models

PH4
02-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I have recently removed the top from my IIA 109 and although it is often under a roof it is now also often out in the rain. Am I setting myself up for some major rust and electrical problems by letting the cab portion get rained on? Any precautions? Placing a tarp over cab when not in use is not an option. I am not worried about seats. Advise appreciated.

greenmeanie
02-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Not really. About the only thing that might be an issue is that your gauge clusters may start to rust as they never seem to seal properly - especially after 30-40 years. If you plan on having a pristine show truck then it's not a good idea but if it is a work truck/daily driver then you should be good. It does age the interior faster.

If you live somewhere that gets a lot of sun you will find it eats up the funky platic on the steering wheel and fades the gearknobs etc. Vinyl seats will probably age faster too. I've had my 101 stripped down to her undies in the driveway for a year in Phoenix and all is well other than the steering wheel needing a coat of paint.

I would give the footwells on the bulkhead a coat of paint and if you are worried about electrics then use the grease trick from a few threads down.

Cheers
Gregor

msggunny
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I run mine topless most of the year, and it hasnt done anything. I usually keep a couple of large trash bags in the center cubby for when it looks like its going to rain, the seats can hold a whole lot of water and the press board backing doesnt like it when its wet.

I have noticed a bit of rust on some of the bolt heads, but i keep some WD 40 and a rag around to take care of it.

Jeff Aronson
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Every so often I would unscrew the center fascia panel and stare at the wiring behind the dash. Dialectric grease would be great on all the connectors, particularly on the ignition switch.

If you're still running the inner door panels, they will decay in the rain. The join of the door bottom frame and door skins might start to rust, too.

If you have a 3-door, why not look at a hoop set and top for the car?

Jeff

PH4
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Jeff, I sold the carawagon top and now have a pick up top and partial 3/4 hoop set. I am in process of turning into PU with 3/4 top but until then running topless which I actually like more than I expected. Would it be advisable to spray a good bit of Corrosion Block on the wiring behind the instrument panels? I use it on my marine engines and it seems to work well in that application.

In regard to door joints I have drilled access holes in them and every so often spray copious amounts of a waxoxly type product in there.

jp-
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I was severely disappointed after clicking on this thread.

PH4
02-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry JP, however, if you go to Pangolin 4x4 vintage photos you may find what you seek.

Tim Smith
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Contrary to the popular belief, 12v will not short out if placed under water. So don't worry about getting zapped if it starts to rain while you are driving it topless.

Your ignition wires (high voltage) is another story. So try to keep the hood on in the rain.

Don't ask me how I know this... :p