PDA

View Full Version : 93RR SWB Starting/Running issues (ignition?)

phatality
02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Hello everybody,

I have a 1993 SWB Range, that I am currently unable to get started.

The story is, about a month ago I had been, happily, driving it around Michigan until we had 2 very warm days (and humid). When I went to start it, it wouldn't fire. After the temperature dropped again, I went to try it again, and with a bit of stuttering, I got it started again. Once it was running everything was fine (ran smooth). I figured it was due for a tune up, and proceeded to change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. This resulted in the engine not firing on cylinders 1 and 3. I then put the old wires back on, and it started to run a bit smoother. I put the old cap back on, and it ran smoother yet. Atleast it was firing on all cylinders and seemd to run smooth. I took it for a test drive. Occasionally it would misfire, run horribly for a second or two then run smooth again. I decided to drive it around for a day and I barely got it started for my drive home. I decided to order a new coil. It sat for a week or 2 before I got the chance to replace it. After replacing the coil, it just cranks over and won't start. I also replaced a few ugly (corroded) connectors.

Currently, I have removed the battery to charge it up, and I am going through the various electrical connections in the ignition system cleaning the contacts and reseating the connectors (alot of them are corroded).

I apologize for the long first post, I am new to this forum.

Any suggestions or recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

phatality
04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Just in case anybody searches and is having the same problem, I finally solved it.

The problem ended up being that the new rotor I had purchased was some how bad. I can not really explain how a rotor can really be bad, but as soon as I put the old one back on, it started right up. I have since returned that rotor and got another which works perfectly fine.

Les Parker
04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
We have found that many people have had a bad experience with non-Genuine distributor rotors, thus we recommend ONLY Genuine Landrover rotors (RNI001).

:)