PDA

View Full Version : is 230f too hot?

ctrover
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Im running a brand new electric aftermarket guage and its say im at 230f and in the red.But when I take off the radiator cap and stick a meat thermometer in there its reads about 130f.My watepump is pumping good and I just did a flush of the entire system and its very clean-no clogs-so is 230 too hot?Im running a summer thermostat also.

KevinNY
02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
You need the correct sender for the guage or the readings mean nothing.

ctrover
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I got it hooked up to the original sender.So the only way I'll get a correct reading is if I replace my broken Land Rover temp guage ? I dont want a mechanical guage-but I'll do it if I cant find a land rover temp guage at a decent price

JimC
02-08-2008, 07:20 AM
I got it hooked up to the original sender.So the only way I'll get a correct reading is if I replace my broken Land Rover temp guage ?

Thats not what he said at all, you have to get a sender which matches your guage and fits in your engine. The only way to get a correct reading is to have compatible parts. Senders are cheap.

Jim-ME
02-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Who made your current gauge?
Jim

Terrys
02-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I dont want a mechanical guage-
Obviously, if you're running an aftermarket gauge, you have a some way to mount a mechanical instead of playing the mix & match game of senders to gauges. In my way of thinking, I would take a mechanical gauge, in any situation, over an electric gauge. There are no 2 1/8" round gauges which will read correctly to the sender used to feed the multi gauge temp unit in an S2A, S3 cluster.
Thread adapters are available for British pipe to SAE threads on senders.

To answer your original question; Yes, 230F is too hot, but that's a moot point since you have already confirmed the water isn't 230F.

Tim Smith
02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Hang on a minute... You guys mean to say that your gages actually work?!?

You can tell it's running too hot if one of the following applies:

The truck starts pinging while not under load (and it is uncommon for your truck to ping)
If your engine bay has that recently steam cleaned look, and you haven't in fact steam cleaned it...
If you hear a boiling sound when you put your ear to the ground next to the truck.:p

ctrover
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
well i went to the auto parts store and bought a thermocap(radiator cap with a temp guage on it)and its reads a steady 130f.Im running a 76c thermostat because I thought I was overheating.So alls well.Electric gauge was way off at 230!I live in ct.What should be my ideal coolant temp yearound?

KevinNY
02-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I do not know why you are not listening to the good advice you are getting. What brand of guage did you install? If you would answer the question then someone could tell you which sender to get and it would all work together, instead you go on to buy even more unnecessary parts?:nono:

Terrys
02-09-2008, 06:54 AM
I do not know why you are not listening to the good advice you are getting. What brand of guage did you install? If you would answer the question then someone could tell you which sender to get and it would all work together, instead you go on to buy even more unnecessary parts?:nono:

You're smart having NY as part of your handle.
I live in CT and am embarassed.

ctrover
02-09-2008, 06:55 AM
the electric guage i got was off of ebay-no brand name.finding the correct sender would be near impossible.Thermocap was $30 and gave me instant diagnosis of temp allowing me to drive my landy that day.

JimC
02-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Good work, since a quality VDO guage and sender can be had together for under 40 bucks I think the money you've spent on ebay bargains and generic parts has been pretty much wasted.

Most engines produced in the world run between 180 and 200f.

ctrover
02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I paid $1200 for my rover and she runs and drives great.Been driving her all year.I paid $15 for that aftermarket temp guage.Your right-what a waste of time it is to bargain hunt:rolleyes::D

Jim-ME
02-09-2008, 10:10 AM
My 2a with a S3 radiator mechanical temp gauge and a 82 degree C thermostat runs 170 to 180 this time of year with a radiator muff on that is completely closed. Not sure what temp it will run in the summer. I may have to change out thermostats.
Jim