PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Range Rover Catalytic converter glowing bright red

madams0325
02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
I have a 90' Rover. I just had the transmission replaced the other day. When I picked it up and was driving home I noticed a smell and it smelled like burning plastic. It also started to feel like I was loosing some engine power after driving it for a few minutes. when I got home, I looked under the rover and noticed that the catalytic converter on the passanger side was glowing bright red. I was told that it can be a clogged catalytic converter or the Rover is running rich. The next day I started it back up and the exhaust was very strong, it smelled like gas. Before the transmission was replaced it ran fine. Were should I start looking?

rovertek
02-08-2008, 06:29 AM
timing is too advanced, which will burn out your cat if continued to run this way.....

Firemanshort
02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I am not sure of the cause of the red hot catalytic converter but I can tell you what the result will be if not fixed.

The means and methods are always a variable... parked over top of grass or leaves, fuel lines in proximity to exhaust, or just overheating of interior parts (seat cushions and carpet). However, the end results are almost always the same.

(Photo is not a rover - but you get the idea...)

madams0325
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
What will cause the timming to get so out of adjustment? It ran perfectly fine before the transmission war replaced?

Thanx,
Mike

kevin-ct
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Did they plug the 02 sensor back in? :o

madams0325
02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes, I looked and they are back in and connected.

junkyddog11
03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
More likely that while the y-pipe was out the well toasted (literally) cat fell apart and clogged itself. Not entirely uncommon when suddenly subject to previously not encountered forces such as being stood on ones head and etc.

kevin-ct
02-25-2010, 06:55 AM
I would find out what's causing the problem first before you install and new cat.