PDA

View Full Version : what yall think ?

autoguy
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
well i got my rolex sold, so now i can get a rover, im looking at a project 2a 88 ex-mod, that is stripped down to the frame, basically the bodywork is off of it and so is the bulkhead, the picts the guy sent of the frame and bulkhead look good, but im waiting for more pictures

he is asking $2500 and he says it is complete and ran when he parked it, it has the LR 2.25 engine, the engine and tranny and gearbox are still in it, he thinks the engine is stuck but doesn't know, the 88 has been stored inside a garage

any opinions ? keep in mind i want a project

me and dad are very mechanical, this wont be our first restoration project or our last :) we have lots of tools too

O'Brien
02-08-2008, 11:37 PM
go ahead and post some pictures, as it's always easier to give you an honest opinion when we can see it. any idea on the mileage, or condition of the frame itself?

for what it's worth, i bought my NADA 109 6cyl, which i drove 400 miles home, for about that same price here in california. with the combined knowledge present on this board, im sure we pictures we can help you make a more informed choice.:thumb-up:

autoguy
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
i will try to get frame and bulkhead picts uploaded tonight, :) no idea on the mileage, the frame is good so says the owner and from the picts it looks good but it has been painted so it is hard to tell

sounds like you got a steal on your 109, in california at that too :)

frame and bulkhead picts

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/DSC00467.jpg?t=1202536798

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/DSC00459.jpg?t=1202536799

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/autoguy5/DSC00456.jpg?t=1202536800

Terrys
02-09-2008, 06:48 AM
The bulkhead looks very good, but people should hold off on their sandblasting until they are ready to prime, IMMEDIATELY afterwards.

The engine may very likely have some minor rust between the rings and bores. If it can't be broken with a breaker bar on the front pulley, I'd keep looking. He's done a reasonably good job on the frame, and MOD frames are nice, but in all honesty, $2500 for a dissassembled RHD truck is a lot of money.

Myron
02-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I paid $1500 for my project car. It was a galvanized frame with 2.25L and gearbox, axles, and suspension already on it, just like the one you're looking at. The rest of the car (bulkhead, body, etc etc) came with it in parts and was included in the price. I agree with Terrys, $2500 seems high.

Myron

yorker
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
For a disassembled project truck with a stuck engine it is a lot of $. If it was a Galvanized chassis I could see paying that but you have no idea what is beneath that paint yet do you? It could conceal a lot.

Is he sure EVERYTHING is there? How long ago was this project abandoned? $2500 is the asking price or what you got him down to?

autoguy
02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
thanks for confirming my suspicions that $2500 was high but I wasn't too sure what series projects go for :)

he started at $2700 and I asked if he would take $2500, I figure I could talk him down some more

what should I offer price wise ?

nope, no idea what is under the paint on the frame rust wise, when/if he gets me more pictures we will drive 6 hours and go look at it

yorker
02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Usually you offer a lot less at first! ;) you must be new to horsetrading!

We need more info on exactly what is there to give you a good idea.

Jeff Aronson
02-09-2008, 03:55 PM
$2500 is high for a disassembled Rover, standard frame with a stuck engine. One question to ask is why did he park the vehicle? Why did he disassemble it? What did he think it needed?

When you go to see the Rover next, take an old chisel and a hammer. Bang away at the box sections of the frame, and the crossmembers, too. You could be buying a frame that's 90% there or 10% there - they look the same under a coat of paint. Perhaps the owner did some welding and patching and he will show it to you. Remember that frames rust from inside, not the outside.

A car that's been sitting like that will need all new brake cylinders[ did he run new brake lines when he worked on the frame?], maybe clutch cylinders, maybe a wiring harness [good to do with the body off the car]. As for the engine, see if you can turn it at the crankcase or use the crank handle. Don't force it, just see if it will turn. If it's had time to corrode, you may find you need to remove the head and pistons, and install rings.

I bought a daily driver II-A for $2500, drove it 250 miles home and have continued to enjoy it. You can do better for $2,500. With a Series Rover, there's always plenty to do. They're wonderful but eternal projects.

Jeff

swingkeel
02-09-2008, 05:02 PM
My 109 had a stuck engine. It also had a frame that needed repair work. It was free. Keep in mind the money you will end up putting in the project and then what it will be worth when and if you want to sell it. They generally sell for a lot less than you have in them. A dismantled 88 with a stuck engine can't be worth much more than 500 bucks, a thousand at the most. Two final thoughts, why would someone get it down to the frame and then weld in a non-standard rear crossmember? And of course: don't make offers until you have seen what you are buying and then done your homework. Good luck, looks like fun.

Best, Michael

yorker
02-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Two final thoughts, why would someone get it down to the frame and then weld in a non-standard rear crossmember?
Best, Michael

IIRC that is the military crossmember- they differ from the civilian chassis.

Terrys
02-09-2008, 06:07 PM
why would someone get it down to the frame and then weld in a non-standard rear crossmember?

Yorker is correct, That rear crossmember is not Non-standard. It is the rear crossmember found on nearly all trucks built for the MOD. The frames of earlier MOD trucks was heavier, as was the crossmember. Most would find that a Plus.

LaneRover
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
About 3 years ago I bought an old restoration 1966 88" on a Galvanized frame for $5,000. I was able to drive it before I bought it and though I spent about another $750 on brake parts and a few electrical things to get it back on the road to me it was still a pretty good buy.

About 8 years ago I bought a 1969 ex mil 109 p-up with a complete hoop set that was complete, non-runner for $2750.00. I may have paid a bit too much but I was able to pull it up on a trailer and roll it into my driveway without needing to take boxes and boxes of stuff that may or may not have had everything I needed.

Brent

swingkeel
02-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Ok, sounds right. I have never paid much attention to the military trucks, guess I should start! Not sure of why it would be a plus though. Thanks for setting me straight.

Michael

autoguy
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks for the help, and opinions :)

and thanks for the pricing info of what yall payed for project series rovers

i will keep looking, hopefully i will find a series near kansas city in my price range :)

i am looking on the for sale forums here and on land rovers only and im looking on land rover exchange and e bay, can anyone recommend anywhere else to look ? im looking on kansas city,s craigslist too

Terrys
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Not sure of why it would be a plus though.
Michael
Because most trucks built for the MOD had bumperettes mounted out on the corners.

madp
02-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Because most trucks built for the MOD had bumperettes mounted out on the corners.
On a quick tangent:
Was there a point to the bumperettes on the military trucks, I have always wondered if there was a reason for them?

greenmeanie
02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Squaddies and her majesty's finest automotive technology was not always a good mix. Things like looking for what is behind you appears to not have been obvious to everyone.

They are usually there to prevent damage from jack knifing a trailer when off road.

The 101 even has rubber pads on the end of its bumperettes that allow you to GENTLY reverse up to loading docks and walls using only your ear.

Cheers
Gregor

autoguy
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
well i decided to get the rover, pending me going and beating on the frame with my ball-peen hammer, the owner sent me more pictures, it has a new soft top and all the small parts are in bags :)

what tools should i take when i go look at the rover ? so far my list consists of my ball-peen, spark plug wrench and socket, and thats about all i can think of besides a check :)

yorker
02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Hide the checkbook... Examine everything- spring bushes, frame, ask plenty of questions. Does he have bins of new parts to go along with it or something? That would be a plus. If the engine is truly stuck I think it would be a concern- use it as a bargaining point. Otherwise you are going to have $2500 into the thing before you even turn a wrench- you will need all the $ you can save to revive the thing.

autoguy
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Hide the checkbook... Examine everything- spring bushes, frame, ask plenty of questions. Does he have bins of new parts to go along with it or something? That would be a plus. If the engine is truly stuck I think it would be a concern- use it as a bargaining point. Otherwise you are going to have $2500 into the thing before you even turn a wrench- you will need all the $ you can save to revive the thing.

he has some new parts and from the pictures the rover is complete and original, it is also within driving distance, 600 miles, the soft top is new and has side windows, as are the seat covers, it also has new swivel balls too

i really want an ex MOD too, when i bought my 1979 trans am we didn't know if it ran either, i figure i will take a quart or two of oil and some liquid wrench and spray in the cylinders after i pop the spark plugs out and than wiggle the engine :)

after a bit of work my trans am fired right up :)

Jeff Aronson
02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
If you're lucky, the light oil will free the rings and you won't break one. Hopefully that's the only place it's stuck. Does it have oil in it?

The ex-MOD Rovers have some unique pieces that are not shared with standard Land Rovers. Make certain you need the extra length of the 109" before commiting to a purchase.

Jeff

autoguy
02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
If you're lucky, the light oil will free the rings and you won't break one. Hopefully that's the only place it's stuck. Does it have oil in it?

The ex-MOD Rovers have some unique pieces that are not shared with standard Land Rovers. Make certain you need the extra length of the 109" before commiting to a purchase.

Jeff

i have unlocked stuck engines before, hopefully it wont be locked too bad, i learned lots of penetrating oil and take your time :)

the rover im looking at is an 88 :)