PDA

View Full Version : Spot welds

Jim-ME
02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Is there a tool available that will cut or remove spot welds and allow the panels to be reused?
Thanks,
Jim

yorker
02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.htpweld.com/products/auto_body_tools/index.htm#HTP%20Spot%20Weld

http://rockford.craigslist.org/tls/530362469.html

Eastwood has one too IIRC

Leslie
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Is there a tool available that will cut or remove spot welds and allow the panels to be reused?

There's a special little bit for your drill, looks like a tiny hole saw, designed for drilling them out.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14686&itemType=PRODUCT

BackInA88
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
If you believe the guys on Spike TV and the Speed Channel car shows they say a regular drill bit works better than those special tools?

Steve

Thanks again Jim:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
02-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Steve, Window in?

Pete
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Jim. No need to buy a special too. I have always used a regular drill bit. Just drilled out about 30 spot welds an hour ago to rebuild a bulkhead.

Pete

Mercedesrover
02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Trust me, we do this all day long. The correct spotweld drill works much better than a standard drill bit. They drill a flat-bottomed hole except for a little divot where the centering pin is.

And steer clear of these saw-blade type cutters from Eastwood and the like. They're called "Blair" cutters. They're very expensive and if you catch an edge they go snap.

Jim-ME, drop me and email and I'll send you a bit. You'll be glad you used the right thing.

Jim
jim@seriestrek.com

msggunny
02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I used a regular drill bit and one with the side cutting blade too. Cut all the spots out of the front clip of my disco save the passenger side fenderwell.

I would have loved to have tried one of those special bits, the regular drill bits i used would jump off the spot weld and then i would have to use the cutting bit to get the spotweld all the way off.

You need a fast, high hp drill too. Or at least it worked better for me than the air powered one i was using.

I Leak Oil
02-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Trust me, we do this all day long. The correct spotweld drill works much better than a standard drill bit. They drill a flat-bottomed hole except for a little divot where the centering pin is.

And steer clear of these saw-blade type cutters from Eastwood and the like. They're called "Blair" cutters. They're very expensive and if you catch an edge they go snap.

Jim-ME, drop me and email and I'll send you a bit. You'll be glad you used the right thing.

Jim
jim@seriestrek.com

I agree with Jim on this that the flat bottom cutter is the best tool if you do not want to put a hole in the second panel. The hole saw type of cutter leaves a slug attached to the outer panel which needs to be ground off, more work than it needs to be.
Most of the time I use a regular drill. Since I don't have a spot welder (yet!) I usually plug weld through the holes that are now drilled out spot welds. Saves some time in lieu of drilling new holes.
As in most cases the best tool for the job, besides a BFH, depends on the job!
Jason T.

BackInA88
02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Steve, Window in?

Been to damn cold.
This weekend we went up to see the daughter at school.
So next weekend I'm going to just take the door off and bring it down stairs.
That way I will be able to do the glazing.:p