PDA

View Full Version : Hub Oil Seal Leak?

ChrisB
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Another rookie question on my '70 IIA SW. This spray pattern has been showing up on my right rear wheel:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2378/2253484339_eff8d1ed00.jpg?v=0

I took the hub cap off, and here's a few close ups. I assume there's a leak somewhere in the hub assembly. :confused: P.O. actually had an extra felt oil seal in the stuff included with the stuff he gave me at purchase, which I will replace tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2355/2253484331_90e6d19b85.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2268/2253484335_7057d355f5.jpg?v=0

Thanks!

Chris

KingSlug
02-10-2008, 06:11 AM
I usually try to clean off all the gunk and grease then put a thin coat of RTV inside the hub cab. Also wack the hub cap on with a mallet not a hammer, a bent hub cap will leak.:thumb-up:

Jim-ME
02-10-2008, 06:33 AM
It very well could be the hub seal too. Easy fix and relatively inexpensive parts. Make sure the breather in your rear axle is working by making sure it rattles when you shake it and that the hole it screws into is clear or you will find that you will keep blowing seals.
Jim

I Leak Oil
02-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Chris,
Your second photo shows air bubbles around the castled nut/washer area. This may be a good indication that your axle breather is blocked. Get that resolved or no matter what you seal up or how many times you do it it will leak again.
Jason T.

4flattires
02-10-2008, 07:48 AM
....playing in the water? Kinda looks like water has found its way into your housing.

Jeff

greenmeanie
02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
There are three leak paths in the Land Rover hub.

The hub lip seal at the rear is most comon. It will show up as wet oil on the inside of the wheel.
The mating joint between the drive flange and the hub. This is usually just a failed gasket. On my truck don't bother with the paper gaskets for the hub any more and instead just use a skim of 'Right Stuff' gasket compound. Since doing this I've never has a leak at that joint.
The hub cap which looks like yours. The felt seal helps as a seal to keep the oil from in the axle tube from flooding the cavity but it is the o-ring onthe drive flange that is the real culprit for the leak. As stated above any bent or damaged hub cap will result in a leak because you are trying to seal an o-ring against a sheet metal part. A good skim of gasket compund here makes all the difference. I don't think I even bother with the o-ring any more.If you use gasket compound, however, you need to get the mating surfaces clean. A dremel with a wire brush does wonders for cleaning the old stuff off and either acetone or brake cleaner helps a lot too.

Cheers
Gregor

ChrisB
02-10-2008, 04:55 PM
A good skim of gasket compund here makes all the difference. If you use gasket compound, however, you need to get the mating surfaces clean. A dremel with a wire brush does wonders for cleaning the old stuff off and either acetone or brake cleaner helps a lot too.

Where do you suggest putting the gasket oil? Where the hub cap goes flush against the wheel? :confused:

Thanks!

Chris