PDA

View Full Version : Parabolic Spring Conversion..Worth it or not?

mickey1275@aol.com
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Ok, so I am 85% through with my restoration. Finishing clear coat and starting to apply weatherstripping etc. and I am sitting here wonder whether the OME shocks and Parabolic spring conversion are worth it. I bought the truck for $900, I will have just over $4000 in it when I am done and that includes panels, seats etc.
Is it worth to drop another $1000? Am I going to see THAT much difference? It will not be a daily driver. In fact, I will mainly use it to run to Lowe's, pick up the kids, camp etc.
Thoughts?

greenmeanie
02-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I have Rocky Mountains and, yes, they make that much of a difference. The truck rides much, much nicer although I cheaped out and went with the Rancho shocks. They've been fine on a truck that hasn't been heavily off roaded but has a lot of road miles.

Only you can determien if they are worth it for your use and financial situation.

Cheers
Gregor

chester rides again
02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
i've only got the RM parabolics on my rear and they already make a big difference. the LR springs, acted like the parabolics when i had a full load of wood in the truck. they seem to only engage when loaded, which was rarely in my case.

so yes, they make a big difference.:thumb-up:

they will lift the truck up to 2" depending on the existing condition of your springs.

Richard
02-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Can the stock brake flex lines be used? or does the 2" of additional lift require longer lines?

-Richard

KSMTAW
02-11-2008, 05:36 AM
I bought the pro-comp shock/ parabolic springs from Rovers North. I have had them on for about 2 months. It is a huge difference- really noticable as the frost heaves have started to rear thier ugly faces in southern Maine. The truck is sitting straight and tall for the first time in 14 years also.

The stock springs get rusty between leaves. The rust expands and causes problems- The parabolics have a small space between the leaves-
The parabolics are alos considerably lighter, I would say they weigh half as much. This makes me fell better beacuse I have an old warn winch with 150' of wire cable mouted up front, a highlift jack in back, full safari top and a lot of tools.

The ride is really great. It really smooths things out.

I contemplated between rocky mountian, TI consoul and rovers north. Price drove my decision to go with Rovers North. Only time will tell if they hold up- But presently I am very happy-

Todd

PH4
02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I have been very happy with my RM parabolics and Procomp Shocks. They did not change the height on my 109 SW. I also have a 109 military. I have not found a great noticable difference between the two at low speeds under 15mph but a huge difference when hitting potholes and bumps at speed. Yes, I reccomend parabolics.

badvibes
02-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm currently driving my buddies 2A with newer parabolics. My 2A has a newer stock spring set. Scott's truck is definitely a nicer daily driver for ride and handling. He's also taken his truck some places off road I didn't go, that may be because he pushes his truck a little harder and may also be helped by the parabolics. Ride height for both trucks running 235x85x16 tires is within 1/2" of each other. If I was going to buy another new suspension I'd probably go with the paras.

Jeff

leafsprung
02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I have had many sets of each. I willing to say new springs=new springs for the most part. The advantage of the parabolics is the lack of interleaf friction. The disadvantage is some of them arent made of the highest quality and will sag or settle quickly. I had a set of parabolics which sagged 2 inches over the course of 6 hours in moab. I have 3 sets of parabolics on trucks and the rest are stock, I dont think there is a significant difference in ride or flex between new stock springs and parabolics. You can also go to your local spring shop and have them make you springs to your own specification. Thats pretty much what the suppliers do.

-Ike

Tim Smith
02-11-2008, 11:26 AM
My current daily driver has parabolics and I'm not sure I'd recommend them over standard springs. The main reason is that the truck has developed a list to the drivers side and this will definitely make you feel like a fatty when ever you get out of your truck... :o

In some email list conversations, I've found that this has apparently happened to others. I'm not sure if this is brand specific or just due to the design limitations.

TAW has a neat trick for breathing new life into the standard spring which is to put plastic sleeves between the leaves thus reducing the friction that generally stops them from working well.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRmodifications.html#suspension

yorker
02-11-2008, 11:40 AM
A good set of standard springs can ride just as nicely as parabolics. When it comes down to it I'd let your $ be your guide.

For my next set I'll probably do just what Ike mentioned and go to my local spring place and try them out. They should be able to make a set of standard springs with all the newer modifications like pads etc.

Jeff Aronson
02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I have Rovers North parabolics and OME shocks on one Series II-A, and standard springs on the other. The difference in very noticeable, on road or off road. On the road, you'll find the ride much improved in terms of comfort. My springs have not lost any arc on either side after 3 years of daily use.

New springs of either type will make a difference, period, but I'm very pleased with the parabolics. Going down a frost heaved road, I no longer flinch when I see a bump coming up.

Jeff

Eric W S
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Interesting tip on the sleeves. But if you go to a good spring maker you can get ant-friction pads installed when that are making them. . .

I say standards.

TeriAnn
02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I have had many sets of each. I willing to say new springs=new springs for the most part. The advantage of the parabolics is the lack of interleaf friction.
I was recently able to do some informal side by side testing both on pavement and light off road. Both vehicles Land Rover Dormobiles. One Dormie has newish parabolics. The other Dormie has one ton leaf springs which were installed in 1996. The one ton springs have ultra high density plastic sheets fitted between the leaves (close to tefflon in sliding resistance).

The results is that the ride felt basically the same. The newish parabolics and the 12 year old one ton leaf springs (with very low leaf to leaf resistance) felt the same on pavement and off. There was slightly more body lean on corners with the parabolics. but you would otherwise never know they had such different springs under them.

Its those leaf springs with rust and grit between the leaves that cause the lack of flex.