PDA

View Full Version : Jumping a Starter Solenoid

madp
02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
My Starter Solenoid on series 3 -2.25 petrol just went out and I ordered a new one from our host’s today, but I could only afford to spring for the 2 day shipping, so that leaves me walking the six miles to work unless I can “jump” the solenoid. Is it detrimental to my precious electrical system if I use a jumper cable and go straight from the battery to the starter lead on the solenoid? I am not going to make a habit out of it, but for the next two days will it be ok? Is their a better way to jump the starter?
Also for my own edification, how often do solenoids go out? Mine looks to be pretty old and the truck had been sitting for a while with out use before I purchased it.
As always your input is greatly appreciated.

--James

graniterover
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
What about the hand crank?

madp
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
When I got my landy everything that was not bolted down was missing, but the hand crank is high on my list of thing to order. I bet it would have been cheaper to to get a hand crank then a new solenoid.....

Les Parker
02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
It is possible to jump the solenoid.
Make sure that the trans. is in neutral and the handbrake set.
Find a junk, insulated flat blade screwdriver and make contact with the 2 large terminals on the solenoid (make sure the ignition is turned on, ie dash lights on and choke is pulled out, if necessary).
This is a TEMPORARY fix, if you do not have a crank handle.

S11A
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Les answered with what I was going to say, but one other piece of advice: park with the car aimed down hill, and let the clutch out after reaching a moderate speed (ignition on).

Note: I have not tried this on a Series, but works fine on other manual trans. cars.

greenmeanie
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Les answered with what I was going to say, but one other piece of advice: park with the car aimed down hill, and let the clutch out after reaching a moderate speed (ignition on).

Note: I have not tried this on a Series, but works fine on other manual trans. cars.

I do this regularly because of my crappy mechanically regulated alternator doesn't always charge well. I get some very wierd looks from the kids and parents at the school bus stop when I go rolling backwards down the street, select reverse gear,engage clutch, fart, bang rumble and off I go roaring back up the street.

I'm fairly sure I'm the odd person that parents warn their children not to go near in the neighbourhood.

Cheers
Gregor

Terrys
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
A LOT of early Lucas starter solinoids have a button on the bottom, which pushes up the plunger to make the switch contacts. Before you go setting yourself alight, check to see if you aren't one of the lucky ones. I have 8 or 9 English cars around here, and except for the one where I know I changed the solinoid out for a generic one, they all have the push plunger on the bottom.(Opposite end from the terminal posts)

Jeff Aronson
02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Have you taken a breaker bar or broomstick and given the end of the starter a good rap with a hammer? A stuck solenoid can be released that way, allowing the starter to work. I had to do that with my TR-7 for a while before a replacement unit came.

Bump-starting a Series Rover works the same as it does for any maual transmission car. The challenge is that the car is heavy, and with all the hypoid in the swivels-front end-rear end-transmission-transfer case, there's a lot of resistance in cold weather. Roll it down a hill and pop the clutch in second gear. Oh yes, turn the key to on and pull out the choke if cold.

If the solenoid is just "clicking" and the problem is NOT the battery [you've checked, right?], you'll find the solenoid a pretty simple item. It is really just a type of electromagnet/relay that moves a "bolt" to lock and then engage the starter. Sometimes, you can replace the solenoid alone with the starter off the car.

The nice thing is that the Series III starter is a little smaller than the II-A starter. You should not need to move any part of the exhaust to remove it and install the new one.

Jeff

madp
02-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys!
My Battery is brand new and fully charged, i will check to see if I have the botton on the bottom of the solenoid.
I crossed the solenoid terminals and the starter kicked right on, and I also checked the ignitition and that is working correctly too, so all fingers point to the soleniod. Now that I think about it, I think it has been going bad for a few weeks, somtimes when I would crank it over the starter would not stop runnung after turning back the key and I would have to disconect the battery to make it stop and then once I reconnected the battery it would work fine.
I live in the low country of south carolnia, so there are no hill to speak of for roll starting, this morning I tried in vain to get my wife to push me, but she was not going for it.
Once again, thanks for the help!

thixon
02-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's crazy enough to have done the screw driver trick!

Hormel
02-11-2008, 11:49 PM

I only tried it once on a series, good way to snap a halfshaft. Don't think I will ever do that again. I prefer the crank now.

Terrys
02-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Jeff, The solinoid is on the firewall, not the starter. You have too many cars and are getting confused in your advancing years. My wife suggested I put all my car keys on one ring, since I always get in the car whose keys are in the house.

greenmeanie
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I only tried it once on a series, good way to snap a halfshaft. Don't think I will ever do that again. I prefer the crank now.

What were you doing to make you think you were going to snap a half shaft? It's no worse than engine braking which most people do all the time. I'd be very impressed if you break a half shaft doing a bump start.

Cheers
Gregor

Tim Smith
02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Ouch, I bet that was frustrating.

Did you use low gear? Go for 2nd or 3rd going forward and reverse is little bit faster than 1st so it will do when bumping it back wards.

No need to spin up the motor with the lower gears, usually if all else is well, the motor will start to run with the lightest of turns.

Hormel
02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
What were you doing to make you think you were going to snap a half shaft? It's no worse than engine braking which most people do all the time. I'd be very impressed if you break a half shaft doing a bump start.

Cheers
Gregor

Admittedly I was bump starting in first when it snapped. Not really a good gear choice, but then again I was still a punk teenager. Spent the next few weeks driving on the front axle, again dumb.

A higher gear choice may have prevented it, but in all likelihood the axle probably was due to give at some point. In engine braking I would guess that since the drivetrain is already turning the 'shock' is not as severe, but its not like I can downshift into first or second at speed anyways.
John